Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
While I'm a fan of the OEM looking front ports, I would definitely like to have a working front audio jack and more than one front USB port. I'm kinda posting a query out here to see what you guys thought of alternatives to the laser hive front panel kits. I've already tried my best to rewire the original front panel ports and I've had success, but it is limited for what I want. Namely, more ports.

While I do like the ports and look that the laser hive kits have, I'd prefer to preserve the original power button and led, since I think that those bits look much better. Couldn't I just use the ports and front bracket from the laser hive kit and just leave the new power button out of it?

Then again, $60 or near-abouts is quite a big price to pay for four usb ports. So I'm wondering if you guys had any thoughts about a relatively easy way to get some more front ports on a PowerMac mod that don't look crap and don't break the bank. Like using front ports from an HP workstation and crafting some holes from scrap aluminum to graft into the Powermac case. Or making my own front usb panel and turning the firewire port into a second USB port.

Or maybe using the DVD drawer to fit more ports!. I haven't actually done this but it's something I have thought about doing. If I was looking at a way for adding more ports I would definitely look at the DVD drawer as an expansion port and you still get to keep power button.

Or maybe using the DVD drawer to fit more ports!. I haven't actually done this but it's something I have thought about doing. If I was looking at a way for adding more ports I would definitely look at the DVD drawer as an expansion port and you still get to keep power button.
Hmmm....hadn't thought about that actually...not a bad idea. I'd have to figure out a way to actually mount the ports in there and probably remove the drive door as well, but I don't think it'd be too difficult. And there's probably a way to make it reversible if I decided that I reeeeeaaaally want a disc drive for some reason.

If I had a Mac Pro case with two drive trays then I'd be all for it, but sadly I have a disc drive in my PowerMac Mod. But I use it so infrequently I may just have to sacrifice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back