Gigabyte Z68X-UD4
CPU
Core i7 2600k
Graphics
XFX Radeon HD 5770
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
My main question is say I am starting from scratch. I am building a Mini ITX build in the BitFenix Prodigy case, pretty similar to the recommended build with a few differences. Pretty much though I am using the same motherboard and using the 3770 cpu. My Q isn't hardware related, it's basically about getting from Snow to ML.

From my understanding I have to install 10.6 from my disc, update it to 10.6.8, and then purchase ML from the App Store. From there I would make all the necessary flash drives and back ups and then do a clean install of ML over the SL install. My question, is that task pretty easy? Will Ivy Bridge work OK when trying to get to 10.6.8. Will I need to use any additional downloads like the bridge helper or update helper? Every guide I see seems to assume you own a Mac and can get ML no problem.

I have a 10.6.7 build. I was never able to get it to 10.6.8, I got a KP for everything and at this point the computer has pretty important files on it so trying to update is professional suicide. I figure I would just do everything I can to get the Ivy Bridge build to 10.6.8 to purchase ML since I already have a hackintosh for pro work and in this case I'm not rushing just to get my work computer operating, which is why I gave up so fast before because all of my recording software and hardware worked fine on 10.6.7.

I want to get ML fully working and probably won't attempt a further OS upgrade for at least 2 years. Thanks for your help.

-Axe

Motherboard
ASUS P5Q
CPU
Q8200
Graphics
HD 5750
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
SL doesn't support Ivy Bridge CPU's.:!:;)

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68X-UD4
CPU
Core i7 2600k
Graphics
XFX Radeon HD 5770
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
if i download mountain lion won't it prepare my system for the update, at least thats what I thought, I was just worried that would give me a KP.

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
if i download mountain lion won't it prepare my system for the update, at least thats what I thought, I was just worried that would give me a KP.

No, it just puts the install app in the app folder and a shortcut link to it in the dock. It will auto start when the download is complete - just exit out of it.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68X-UD4
CPU
Core i7 2600k
Graphics
XFX Radeon HD 5770
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Status
Not open for further replies.