Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all! This is my build:

Mobo: GA-P55A-UD3

CPU: Intel i7-870

Graphics Card: Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX650

Ram: 20G (8Gx2 2Gx2)

IMG_2667.jpg

I have one 250G SSD drive as boot up disk. And 2 1.5TB hard drives for data storage.

A few weeks ago, it started having random freezes. :beachball: This damn wheel would show up and I can't force quit or click on anything. Had to restart the computer every time.

First I thought it was because I multitasked too much. (Ex. Using Logic Pro and Chrome at the same time.) Yet the activity monitor showed that the CPU usage and Ram usage were fairly low. Uninstalled Chrome and it kept on freezing.

Ok, so now, I was afraid that my SSD was failing. So I used an app called DriveDX to check it out.
IMG_2695.jpg
The one on the top is my SSD boot up drive. Turns out it was healthy. But I found that one of my 1.5TB drives were diagnosed with errors.

So I used Disk Utility to double check. Could verify it but could not repair it (error message saying could not do it in live mode or something I forgot.)

Booted into Safe Mode and did the repair:
IMG_2697.jpg
Booted it up again, and the freezing still continued...

Since I have another drive installed with Windows, I gave it a go and it seemed to have no problems, so I the other hard ware is intact.

Did some internet digging and found some ppl having this Fermi Freeze problem. Downloaded the freezefix app. Didn't work. Downloaded the NVIDIA WebDriver, also didn't work.

Thinking I might have to restore the whole computer I tried, in vail, to back up with Time Machine on to my Synology NAS (not been able to back up since 2016/01/28 but it's some bug Synology has with it's new firmware) Fixed the bug, now the Time Machine was trying to back up again. Kept giving me the "drive is in use" error. I kept on trying.

And it started to freeze on me...... every time I try to back up, it freezes.

Now I tried to reboot and it just stuck on the boot up screen:
IMG_2693.jpg

Now I can only boot into OSX with Safe Mode. Not knowing what to do...

Completely lost here. Is it really because one of my disk is failing? (which I am not sure is true) Has anyone ran intro similar problems?

I had this build since 2010 and had a major upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.9.5 with new Graphics Card last February. No problems until recently...

<UPDATE>
Login with verbose mode
IMG_2699.jpg

<UPDATE2>
Reinstalled the NVIDIA WebDrive. Did the update to latest drive. And it boots up now!!!!

Still going about seeing if there's gonna be more freezes... will keep updating

<UPDATE3>
Still randomly freezes... still completely lost...

<UPDATE>
Ok. Seems like it was a hardware problem.

First off, after a few days of frustration my power supply completely died on me. So I bought a new one, installed it. At the same time checked the RAM slots again. Turned out there were some eraser dust left in the slots. Reason was that I used one to clean the slots a long time ago. It might b becoz I didn't clean out the dust properly so the whole computer became laggy and even freezing.

Plus, the power supply might have played a role in this. I don't know. So far my computer's been successfully backing up. Left it for a night and this morning it booted up with no apparent problems and so far no freezing.

In conclusion. Make sure all hardware is up and running and clean before delving into software fixes...

Will still update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back