Contribute
Register

From Catalina to Ventura ?

Hello,

Is it crazy to try to update directly from Catalina to Ventura running OC ?
The setup is currently Catalina 10.15.7 on Asus Z490-P supplied with i9-10850K.

Many thanks, regards, Gilbert.

Hi there.

No, it is not crazy. However you will need to be using OpenCore 0.8.5 or higher, along with the latest support kexts.

I was also on Catalina and still use it as my main OS btw but installed Ventura on another SSD just to start with a clean slate (slowly moving stuff)
I noticed though Ventura is not showing the 13.0.1 update which is the first issue I have encountered. Well that and weird behaviour or even non working Mac games. One game (I think The Observer) even freezes Ventura so I have to do a hard reset.
So take note of that mate before you upgrade to Ventura! Better to have a proper working backup which in our case is good old Catalina ;)

Good luck and tell us how it went!

Very late to the party here, but I just did this upgrade from Catalina straight to Ventura from inside macOS running OpenCore.

I upgraded to the latest version first (0.9.0). I set SecureBootModel=Default on my SSD EFI partition, ready for Ventura. BUT I set SecureBootModel=Disabled on a USB EFI partition and used that to boot into Catalina to do the initial update/install on the first reboot I let boot from the SSD EFI.

After a few reboots it was done. Just some info for anyone else searching this.

Last edited:
Back