Contribute
Register

Friendly reminder: Back up your data any way you can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best backup apps I've found for the Mac are these:

[1] Carbon Copy Cloner - For OS, makes the BEST backup of the OS into a .dmg file, which can consistently be restored to a partition and BOOTABLE. Will never go without this.

[2] Tri-Backup - For files, flexible backup tool with many options.

[3] GoodSync - For files, has many options, including automatic scheduled backups, filesystem watching (so if you move a file, or rename it, it wont recopy but reflect that change only), and many more.

Runner up: ChronoSync, similar to GoodSync, but a little overly complex.

Paragon Hard Disk Manager.
Makes .vhd files of HFS+, NTS & FAT(32) file systems.
Backup and restore whole disks/single partitions to and from .vhd files or to other disks/single partitions on your OS.
Retains integrity of EFI partitions and MBR records.
Convert disks between MBR & GPT types.
Manage disks with ease.
Both Windows and OSX versions have similar matching interfaces.
The .vhd images can be mounted under both OSX & W10 in read/write mode if the appropriate apps are present to enable read/write capabilities of the host OS.

No, I don't work for the company.

For around $150 get both the Windows and OSX versions and use one to manage the other in dual boot situations.

Carbon Copy Cloner is also good for OS & data backup.

Last edited:
Please please please remember to back up and back up frequently. :thumbup:

Agreed! I have two backup hard drives for my SSD and it has saved my bacon more than once (most recently with the 10.11.6 update). :clap: I use Carbon Copy Cloner.

Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 11.50.52 AM.png

I'm just using plain Time Machine for my backup.
I'd forgotten the existence of it until seeing this thread.

I use Get Backup for local backup and Super Duper to backup OS. I also use Backblaze for a cloud back up as it is unlimited and I have a lot of data. I also have off site hard drives just in case, also replace a hard drive with the next size up every 6 months using the older ones as a redundancy drive. I end up needing more space every few months any how.

No1
Other |  i5 4460 |  HD 4600
Im using Time machine to back up all my Computers. My Z77-DS3H has a 3TB Time machine back up drive then I'm also using my 9TB NAS to back everything up on my Z77-DS3H and other computers.

I have used Super Duper for years.

I used a 500mb Samsung M.2 for my primary OS drive. Later I got a Samsung 750 EVO 500mb laptop style drive that I use for backups of the M.2 drive. I originally intended to mount the 750 inside the enclosure but that caused a problem with the MB's bios adding boot options every time I rebooted. Been working on trying to fix that, but no love yet. So, I got an Inatek USB two drive docking station and use that when I back up.

Pretty simple, insert the 750, power up the Inateck dock and insert the USB connector and wait for the 750 mounts. Then run Super Duper with the option to update only new information. That gives me a full backup in under three minutes the last time. I installed Photoshop, Lightroom and Bridge on the M.2 since the previous backup so it took a bit longer this last time.

I forgot about Super Duper's ability to back up to a .dmg and I may do that sometime soon to keep on the mechanical hard drives I use for file storage. I don't think a backup inside a .dmg will add boot options on the MB when rebooting.

I have used Super Duper for years.

I used a 500mb Samsung M.2 for my primary OS drive. Later I got a Samsung 750 EVO 500mb laptop style drive that I use for backups of the M.2 drive. I originally intended to mount the 750 inside the enclosure but that caused a problem with the MB's bios adding boot options every time I rebooted. Been working on trying to fix that, but no love yet. So, I got an Inatek USB two drive docking station and use that when I back up.

Pretty simple, insert the 750, power up the Inateck dock and insert the USB connector and wait for the 750 mounts. Then run Super Duper with the option to update only new information. That gives me a full backup in under three minutes the last time. I installed Photoshop, Lightroom and Bridge on the M.2 since the previous backup so it took a bit longer this last time.

I forgot about Super Duper's ability to back up to a .dmg and I may do that sometime soon to keep on the mechanical hard drives I use for file storage. I don't think a backup inside a .dmg will add boot options on the MB when rebooting.

I think you mean 500 gb not mb... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back