Contribute
Register

Fresh installation of Mountain Lion or upgrade from Lion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mountain Lion
CPU
Graphics
AMD HD 5670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,
I just bought an SSD hard drive, and I am going to do a fresh install of my hackintosh again. Of course, I'm gonna want to use Mountain Lion when it's released..

So, what do guys think i should do,
Install Lion now, then upgrade the normal way to Mountain Lion when it's released..
or
Keep using my HDD Lion for now, when Mountain Lion is released, I do a fresh install of it on my SSD..

or it doesn't make any difference?

thnx

I have been thinking about my own situation similarly. I got an SSD from newegg last week and was going to install lion, but I feel that it will be best to instal ML on the SSD fresh and clean. Keeping data and apps in place is great, but I know different software has interacted oddly with new hardware etc in Lion for me, I expect the same to be true for ML. That seals the deal for me. I will keep my Lion install in tact and transfer data after the fact, introducing my old applications one by one. For me, this method will be the easiest way to pinpoint problems.

I have some USB issues etc right now too, and I have been wanting to do a fresh install now that I am less of a noob, but I have a hard time bringing myself to do it with a 95% working machine in front of me. If your machine is flawless with apps/data you need to keep using, you could clone your lion drive to the SSD and upgrade from there, but it seems silly to install a fresh lion only to update it to ML (unless of course it turns out install methods require that, which won't be discussed here until release). Thats my two cents.

ETA: Funny that we are about to do the same thing, and before I made this post, we had the same post count. :lol:

Unlike Windows that scatters crap all over the drives, a fresh install of OS X isn't so necessary. With that said, it's so easy to leave your current drive intact, install the new OS to a new drive and then use the migration tool to bring your settings, apps, and data over, I consider this the perfect way to upgrade...

Of course I'm pretty new at this so others may see it differently.

Will it be possible to upgrade form 10.7.x to 10.8? Or will a fresh install of 10.8 be required? What will the upgrade path be (if there is one)? Won't one still have to create a hackintosh bootable 10.8 installer first?

Well,
you will certainly be able to upgrade to ML from Lion without a fresh installation.
Just download the App from the App store, run it, and you're in ML!

But, since we use Hackintoshs, the way to upgrade will be posted in the day of the release.

But, yeah, you will certainly be able to upgrade from Lion or Snow Leopard 10.7.8..

The best way to do this, that i have found is

You have your SSD drive - Install the OS then (This could be Lion NOW), now go to your user account and move your "Home" directory to one of your other internal drives.. This can be a NON-SSD drive. This way, anything you put on your Desktop, Documents folder, Music folder, Download folder, Picture Folder, and so on, is all stored on your non-ssd drive. And you can make it like a 1TB drive or something.

So, now all your data is safe, and when you go to update your OS, you just update your SSD drive but all your data is still safe as its on the non-SSD.

Only thing that is installed on the SSD is the OS and Apps, but all your data is on the non-SSD.

This is how i have all my mac's setup and it works great.

I'll be doing a fresh install.

I noticed that when upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion, I didn't quite get the full Lion experience. Things just seemed different after I did a clean install with Lion.

I want to have that different feeling when I upgrade to Mountain Lion..

Some of my software licences don't transfer with time machine/migration assistant so I will probably do the upgrade, as to not have to deal with the other stuff. However, will the installer remove any kexts/ cause some sort of kp is a big question for me still

I'll be doing a fresh install.

I noticed that when upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion, I didn't quite get the full Lion experience. Things just seemed different after I did a clean install with Lion.

I want to have that different feeling when I upgrade to Mountain Lion..

I noticed in your signature that you have the Rampage III Formula and GTX 580 cards and running ML. I am just now trying to set up my first Hackintosh and I have those same components. Was wondering if your cards function right in ML? Also, did you use a custom DSDT or EasyBeast settings?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back