Contribute
Register

Fresh build for main graphic design machine. Wondering if this will work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone!

I'm a graphic designer in need of a new machine, so I'm putting together a list of parts based on the June's buyer's guide CustoMac Pro.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/365-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-june-2013.html#custo_pro

The main uses of the machine will be Graphic design with the Adobe CS software, some video editing and some gaming now and then.

CPU:
Intel Core i7 3770K / 3.5 GHz - 4 cores

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H

RAM:
Corsair Vengeance - 16gb

Case:
Corsair Carbide Series 500R

Power Supply:
Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX650M

Storage:
WD Red WD30EFRX

Wifi Card:
TP-LINK TL-WDN3800 N600

Graphics Card:
ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2-3GD5

I was wondering if anyone sees any issues with this build of any of the parts.
What do you guys think of this?

Thanks in advance!

Everything you list will work fine. The problem is going to be finding anyone selling the mainboard - most are out of stock and it looks like it may be EOL.

Got the most things to work! Took some time but I've managed to install Mountain Lion thanks to the info I've found on this site/forum.

The only thing not working now is the Wifi card, I've got the TL-WDN3800 and it always shows an empty list of avaliable networks.

Tried to install Maolj and Hnak's drivers in multibeast, but without success.

Anyone has a clue on how to fix this?

Got the most things to work! Took some time but I've managed to install Mountain Lion thanks to the info I've found on this site/forum.

The only thing not working now is the Wifi card, I've got the TL-WDN3800 and it always shows an empty list of avaliable networks.

Tried to install Maolj and Hnak's drivers in multibeast, but without success.

Anyone has a clue on how to fix this?

Try swapping the TL-WDN3800 for a 4800 model if you can. The 3800 will require a kext edit to add its device ID back into the .plist - PITA, best to swap cards.

Try swapping the TL-WDN3800 for a 4800 model if you can. The 3800 will require a kext edit to add its device ID back into the .plist - PITA, best to swap cards.

Thanks! Started to realize I better bought the 4800 after some more research on this.
So, would it be hard (or even possible) to get the 3800 to work? Might just give it a try before giving in and getting the 4800.

Thanks! Started to realize I better bought the 4800 after some more research on this.
So, would it be hard (or even possible) to get the 3800 to work? Might just give it a try before giving in and getting the 4800.
Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to get the 3800 to work. After you edit the kext files to add the device ID to the .plist, you have to do it all over again for each update of the network kexts.

Best just to swap for the 4800 if you can.

Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to get the 3800 to work. After you edit the kext files to add the device ID to the .plist, you have to do it all over again for each update of the network kexts.

Best just to swap for the 4800 if you can.

would you be able to point me in the right direction of the kext edit i would need? i bought the 3800 and can't return it and dont mind doing the edit to get the machine working.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back