Graphics
AMD HD 7850
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My Hackintosh had been working nearly perfectly on 10.10.0 with the occasional second-long beachball, but after the 10.10.3 update I have been experiencing constant hangs where the GUI stops refreshing entirely and the beachball cursor appears. Sometimes the freeze can be broken by repeatedly clicking on the window of a non-active application or using command-tab, and other times it can be broken by killing "stuck" processes remotely via SSH. The freezing is not limited to any particular application, and usually all processes continue to operate normally in spite of the GUI freeze; e.g., the system responds to keyboard input (volume buttons, etc), I can use SSH normally, and audio/video continue to play.

My only boot flag is kext-dev-mode=1. Additionally, my build previously worked without a DSDT and only required patched AppleHDA drivers for sound. My BIOS is patched for native power management, and as such I do not need to use a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManegement.kext. Also, my SMBios is currently MacPro3,1 but the freezing also occurs using iMac14,1 and iMac14,2 (and all three used to work fine in 10.10.0 apart from differences in hardware video decoding). I was previously using the MultiBeast 7.2 TRIM patch and now have TRIM enabled using TonyMacX86's command-line workaround (http://www.tonymacx86.com/os-x-updates/161314-os-x-10-10-3-update-6.html#post1017430).

My mobo is an MSI Z77a-G41, with an i5 3470 overclocked to 3.8 GHz (this worked fine in 10.10.0) and a Radeon HD 7850 which works with unmodified Apple AMD GPU drivers.

Anyone know what could be going on? So far I have tried deleting the kernel and extension caches, repairing permissions, rebuilding the disk directory using both Disk Utility and DiskWarrior, and reinstalling the 10.10.3 Combo Update.

Update: I've discovered that WindowServer logs the following type of error every time the freeze occurs:
WindowServer[173]: Surface test allowed updates after 3857 attempts
This always shows up after the following related error:
WindowServer[173]: Surface testing disallowed updates for 10 sequential attempts...

My Hackintosh had been working nearly perfectly on 10.10.0 with the occasional second-long beachball, but after the 10.10.3 update I have been experiencing constant hangs where the GUI stops refreshing entirely and the beachball cursor appears. Sometimes the freeze can be broken by repeatedly clicking on the window of a non-active application or using command-tab, and other times it can be broken by killing "stuck" processes remotely via SSH. The freezing is not limited to any particular application, and usually all processes continue to operate normally in spite of the GUI freeze; e.g., the system responds to keyboard input (volume buttons, etc), I can use SSH normally, and audio/video continue to play.

My only boot flag is kext-dev-mode=1. Additionally, my build previously worked without a DSDT and only required patched AppleHDA drivers for sound. My BIOS is patched for native power management, and as such I do not need to use a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManegement.kext. Also, my SMBios is currently MacPro3,1 but the freezing also occurs using iMac14,1 and iMac14,2 (and all three used to work fine in 10.10.0 apart from differences in hardware video decoding). I was previously using the MultiBeast 7.2 TRIM patch and now have TRIM enabled using TonyMacX86's command-line workaround (http://www.tonymacx86.com/os-x-updates/161314-os-x-10-10-3-update-6.html#post1017430).

My mobo is an MSI Z77a-G41, with an i5 3470 overclocked to 3.8 GHz (this worked fine in 10.10.0) and a Radeon HD 7850 which works with unmodified Apple AMD GPU drivers.

Anyone know what could be going on? So far I have tried deleting the kernel and extension caches, repairing permissions, rebuilding the disk directory using both Disk Utility and DiskWarrior, and reinstalling the 10.10.3 Combo Update.

Update: I've discovered that WindowServer logs the following type of error every time the freeze occurs:
WindowServer[173]: Surface test allowed updates after 3857 attempts
This always shows up after the following related error:
WindowServer[173]: Surface testing disallowed updates for 10 sequential attempts...
Have you managed to sort it out?
I'm getting same problem since upgrading my Asus Z170i + i5-7600K [email protected] to GA-Z370n-WIFI + i5-8600K [email protected] using RX 460
The only solution I have found so far is to send computer to sleep and wake it.
But that doesn't always work (maybe depends on how long it sleeps)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back