Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Freezing immediately after login. No recent updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA Z97X-UD5H-Clover
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
I’ve been using High Sierra for quite some time. Today I had an issue where some apps were taking a while to respond. I had trouble shutting down so ultimately I used the restart button on my computer. Now my system freezes directly following login.

I enter my password it acts like it’s accepted. The spinner spins slightly and then everything freezes.

I haven’t updated anything recently.

I have tried the following without resolving the issue:

Booting in safe mode has same login issue.

Running diskutil verifyVolume from recover terminal shows disk is ok.

Running fsck -fy from single user mode shows ok.

Ressetting my user password through the resetpassword app accessed through Recovery terminal doesn’t resolve issue.

I am using Clover,

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately reinstalling did not fix the issue. I noticed that my post is categorized under installation when it shouldn’t be. Being a moderator, are you able to move it. I only saw the desktop support portion of the topic on mobile.

I noticed that my post is categorized under installation when it shouldn’t be. Being a moderator, are you able to move it.
Yes I can move it for you, where would you like me to put it ?

Do you think Post Installation > General Help would be more appropriate?

Unfortunately guest account is not enabled. I’ve purchased a second drive this morning and I plan on doing a fresh install on the new drive and then eventually using the current drive as a backup once I reformat and prove it is sound. Being as that I already have a working Clover config I’ve been using do you know if there’s a simpler install process I can do? Much thanks.

Ultimately I ended up formatting the new drive and installing OS X to the drive using recovery. I was given the option to transfer settings from the main drive and that worked resolving the issue. Following install I used clover configurator to copy my efi contents from the original drive to the new install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back