Hi,

System:
Intel i7 4790k
Gigabyte x97z-ud5h
Ballistix Sport 32Gb
Gigabtye GTX 780 Ti
Corsair Water Cooler H100
OS X Yosemite

Finally got my hackintosh up and running, without randomly locking up, left it on over night and it was still working.

Went to do some work on it 3D animation, pressed render, it rendered an image, then restarted itself.

Keeps doing this... after some testing, its not just 3D its anytime the CPU is getting used and the fans start going, its does what it needs too and on the come down its locks up or restarts. So weird.

Test:
I have taken out the Ram 1 by 1 from 32gb to 8gb still does it and also took out my 780 Ti to use the Internal GFX thinking it might be the card and its not.

I also did a the YES stress test in the terminal had my CPU going for 3-5 mins on 100% wasnt until I stopped the test it shut down.

Really don't know what to do or try... Is it worth my shelling out on another SSD to put windows on to test see if it is a OS X thing? Surely it cant be if it is working ok until heavy usage.

Thanks in advance, really need help.

:crazy:

Hi,

System:
Intel i7 4790k
Gigabyte x97z-ud5h
Ballistix Sport 32Gb
Gigabtye GTX 780 Ti
Corsair Water Cooler H100
OS X Yosemite

Finally got my hackintosh up and running, without randomly locking up, left it on over night and it was still working.

Went to do some work on it 3D animation, pressed render, it rendered an image, then restarted itself.

Keeps doing this... after some testing, its not just 3D its anytime the CPU is getting used and the fans start going, its does what it needs too and on the come down its locks up or restarts. So weird.

Test:
I have taken out the Ram 1 by 1 from 32gb to 8gb still does it and also took out my 780 Ti to use the Internal GFX thinking it might be the card and its not.

I also did a the YES stress test in the terminal had my CPU going for 3-5 mins on 100% wasnt until I stopped the test it shut down.

Really don't know what to do or try... Is it worth my shelling out on another SSD to put windows on to test see if it is a OS X thing? Surely it cant be if it is working ok until heavy usage.

Thanks in advance, really need help.

:crazy:

It sounds like OS X is having a hard time w/ CPU fan control, or maybe the processor is shutting off because of the thermals being too high (goes back to fan control not working).

You should try putting windows on another SSD and see if the issue persists, then it may be an issue w/ your cooling system.

Cheers!

Some new developments:
Whilst making a Window Boot USB... I booted my Hack into Safe Mode, ran the same tests I did before, rendered out of Cinema 4D worked FINE!, rendered a animation from After Effects worked fine, and also did the CPU stress test, all stable!

Then i noticed the Nvidia system logo wasnt on the top bar, I went into system prefs and it wont allow me to open the Nvidia Panel, said there was a problem need to reinstall driver etc.

So i shut down and rebooted in normal mode, and it loads the Nvidia Panel, which is allowed to open etc.

Removed the Nvidia drivers and tried the test again in Normal mode. Same thing happening.

Does Safe Mode inject different Kexts than when in normal mode? At least I fell I know its not a hardware issue... and its something to do with OS X normal and OS X Safe mode

Where do I go from here?

Some new developments:
Whilst making a Window Boot USB... I booted my Hack into Safe Mode, ran the same tests I did before, rendered out of Cinema 4D worked FINE!, rendered a animation from After Effects worked fine, and also did the CPU stress test, all stable!

Then i noticed the Nvidia system logo wasnt on the top bar, I went into system prefs and it wont allow me to open the Nvidia Panel, said there was a problem need to reinstall driver etc.

So i shut down and rebooted in normal mode, and it loads the Nvidia Panel, which is allowed to open etc.

Removed the Nvidia drivers and tried the test again in Normal mode. Same thing happening.

Does Safe Mode inject different Kexts than when in normal mode? At least I fell I know its not a hardware issue... and its something to do with OS X normal and OS X Safe mode

Where do I go from here?

Safe mode only loads the required kexts / drivers to get OS X booted properly, so yes it does load different kexts if not in normal mode. It sounds like your nVidia card is throttling your computer thus it's shutting down, you may have to disable it.

I've had similar problems with a ga-z97mx gaming 5 mobo and a 4790k.
My research uncovered the following, which points to lots of people having similar issues with over heating with a z97 mobo and a 4790k. Something about the motherboard not limiting the current/watts to the CPU when changes are made in the bios which allows the CPU to overheat to the point that it resets the system.

This thread has lots of info - https://communities.intel.com/thread/54032

Mine worked fine until I enabled XMP or tried the auto overclock in the bios. From that point on it was nearly unusable due to constant overheating and resetting.
As mentioned in the thread, a cmos reset with a jumper has resolved most of my issues and it's at least stable to use for hours on end now (even running Prime). I'll have a look at overclocking in the future, once I know that the bugs have been ironed out of the bios with an update or two.

It might not be the same as your problem, but is at least worth a look.

Thanks guys.

So after looking and installing windows to eliminate the OS X side of things. It is still happening on Windows. Happens right at the end of the Cinibench CPU test as the CPU finishing off or coming back down.

So weird.

Not really sure where to go now... Had a look at the intel website above, tried a couple of things withthe voltage, but no luck what so ever, surely it is faulty hardware now.

Did you do the cmos reset?

My understanding from reading the thread is that any change to the bios (overclocking, XMP enable etc) that causes the board to allow the CPU to draw too much current, is not fully reversed when undoing the bios change. A cmos reset is the only way to get back to a default bios.

Did you also read the bit about enabling the current limiter for the CPU and what to set it to?

For the 30 secs it'll take to remove the side of your PC and reset the cmos, it's got to be worth a go.

Note that this was the ONLY thing that got me back up and running again. All other things including loading new bios's didn't fix the problem.

Sorry dude, forgot to mention I did do that. Didnt work unfortunately.

I however reduced the CPU from 4hgz to 3.70ghz and it actually finishes the CPU Cinibench test without restarting or shutting down on Windows. Success...kind of.

What does this mean?

Update: Both CPU & Mobo have gone back to Scan for testing. Got to the point I couldn't even boot Windows due to soaring temps on both Water Cooler and Stock Fan...

Sitting 71 degrees on idle.

We'll see what they say.

CPU was faulty...

Got new CPU on the old Mobo and it seems to be very stable! Actually finishing Cinibench without crashing etc.

My world can resume normally.

Thanks for the advice and help everyone! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back