Contribute
Register

Freezes with RX580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use SMBios iMac 14.2 ;). 128mb for IGPU.
Your EFI was wrong... use this one.
Thanks, I'll try and report back.

First boot was unsuccessful (got "kextd stall GFX0, IGPU"), but the next one was OK.

Hey dude, sorry for the bump
Got the same MOBO, CPU and GPU, wondering if you ever found a solution ?
I'm getting random freeze all the time, sometimes right after the boot, sometimes even during booting, sometimes a while after. It's getting hard to just pass booting and try tweaking my EFI...

Damn mine is brand new, works perfectly fine on windows but still get the freezes on mojave. I don't think it's an hardware issue for me. Do you think our z170x ultra gaming could be too old for this "new" gpu ?
I read some users got rid of the crashes and freezes by updating the bios on the mobo (mostly z370 or z390).

I'll watch this thread in case there's something new and add my advances too.

I am having similar issues on my new build. same gpu as was used on my old build that was rock solid. ROG M11H 9900K and an xfx rx580.

I am able to ssh into the machine once it locks up and poke around which is how I finally saw the log outputs.

I had random reboots and crashes for a long time, spent a long time trying to solve them. The solution was found by accident when I flashed the bios and forgot to reset it up. The solution for me ended up being disable the XMP profile in the bios and manually set the clock speed for the memory to the correct advertised speed. Since then I have put together another Hack from the spare parts from my year long endeavor and it as well has not crashed. One of the systems is a Z170A Skylake 6500k with Vega 56 running Imac Pro 1,1 sm, and the other is Z370 Coffeelake 8600k with RX 580 & dummy ketext running SM iMac Pro 1,1. Nether system is running IGPU. Both systems appear to have full hardware encoding/decoding and iTunes DRM works great except for the Matrix movies for what ever reason those three moves out of my iTunes Movie library do not play....

Ok I seem to have find a solution that's even simpler for me.
I plugged in the card in the pcie 2 port instead of 1, switched the smbios to 14,2, no frame buffer or id in graphics. No freezes so far and it's been one day with dozens or reboots. So I guess it's stable.
Got hardware acceleration and all working.
Only lilu and weg, no dummy kext.
Can't believe it's so simple so I'll run more tests before uploading my EFI.

I was thinking maybe hardware issue so I picked up a vega64 to try in place of the rx580. same issue. I think I finally have a reproduction pattern though. It seems that doing a screenshare in microsoft teams will trigger it. I am starting to wonder if it is more an iGPU issue and that encoding video triggers it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back