Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Have any of you heard of a FreeNas? www.freenas.org

I am looking into building one. For those of you who don't know what it is, it is "network attached storage"

FreeNAS is the OS that you install onto the computer. It looks like it will even allow Time Machine to back up to it. Although it seems pretty picky about certain hardware, it should be to hard for us as we have to be picky with almost every piece of hardware:lol:

Who is going to go and try this now?:p

My dell dimension boots up pretty slowly and it hangs up while getting the ip address. I guess the nic isn't supported. I also don't think I want to spend the money on a machine that can only have 2 IDE's and a max of 4gb of ram with a 32 bit pentium 4.

I built a freeNas server that i use at home. works great. it uses the older version 0.7 though. i used an i3 cpu, i get peaks of over 100mb up and down with avergaes probally around 50-60.

actually selling all my gear, a little OSX render farm setup:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ele/3783223382.html

I build a freenas box for my company a while back as i work in IT. I stumbled across it on the web, slapped it on an old Dell PowerEdge rack mount server (Cant remember the model off the top of my head) and i practically save everything to it now. I think its got something like 6TB space in in RAID1+0, with 6 servers backing up to it daily.

I mean if you have the kit lying around, i would strongly suggest making one of these. You don't need a powerful PC to run it either. Replace your PC with a Hackintosh and use the PC as a Freenas storage server!! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back