CPU
Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey all,

So, I have been running 10.9.5 on my Hackintosh for the last few years. I have had plenty of software and hardware compatibility issues with it, which I will describe below, but I have found some workarounds and have basically just done my best to completely ignore them in the interest of pressing on with my work. However, some of the software that I use is no longer supported on Mavericks, so I am facing the prospect of either updating my system or just buying an old pre-trash can Mac Pro and saying to hell with at all!

I will obviously do a backup of my system drive before I try to update, but I confess that I am pretty freaked out messing around in the BIOS again and such, as it's been years since I even thought about it.

If anyone has a similar system to mine and can help me out, I would be eternally grateful!

Here are my hardware specs.

Gigabyte Z87X-UD5-TH
4770k Overclocked to 4.2 Ghz
Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB
32GB DDR3 RAM
Corsair h80i
Corsair Carbide 500R
Samsung 840 Pro
Several SATA Drives in a RAID
Focusrite 18i20 Audio Interface
Focusrite 6i6 Audio Interface (used exclusively as an additional MIDI Interface)
Several outboard synthesizers

Software I use.

Avid Media Composer
Adobe Creative Suite
Ableton Live
Logic Pro

Hardware compatibility issues

- Access Virus Ti2 is not detected as a MIDI device over USB. I've tried many different USB hubs. I'm using it with standard MIDI cables.
- MOTU Microlite is not detected as a MIDI interface over USB. No longer using. I am using the smaller Focusrite as an extra MIDI I/O. For some reason, the Focusrites just work.
- Bluetooth doesn't work (don't care).
- WIFI with TL-WDN4800 card doesn't work. I got a WIFI repeater with an ethernet jack. It's buggy and often needs to be rebooted.
- Thunderbolt doesn't work. I remember reading something about having to create a Windows drive and installing something that way?

Software issues

- Avid Media Composer (v8) cannot AMA link to files at all. This is a huge huge pain in the butt as I have to use my laptop to transcode everything. I have no idea why this doesn't work, but the generic AMA plugin just doesn't even load. I never had issues with AMA on version 7.

@fuzzykeys, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard (Mobo), CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Done. Thank you!

Your system will handle High Sierra just fine use iMac 14.2 system definition or MacPro 6.1. If your system definition is close to those you should be ok. Bios should be good if your system is working already.

If your using clover update it to s recent version.
I would just download High Sierra from the App Store and format and name a new or used spare disk (High Sierra) and open it up and load it just make sure to use “change install location” when imstalling and select High Sierra drive as the target. It’s like the 2nd or 3rd prompt window. High Sierra will take about 3-4 reboots to install completely and keep choosing the install tab in clover until it goes away. This is assuming you are using clover bootloader, if not follow the install guide and use a USB stick and only connect the new drive to the system.

Your system will handle High Sierra just fine use iMac 14.2 system definition or MacPro 6.1. If your system definition is close to those you should be ok. Bios should be good if your system is working already.

If your using clover update it to s recent version.
I would just download High Sierra from the App Store and format and name a new or used spare disk (High Sierra) and open it up and load it just make sure to use “change install location” when imstalling and select High Sierra drive as the target. It’s like the 2nd or 3rd prompt window. High Sierra will take about 3-4 reboots to install completely and keep choosing the install tab in clover until it goes away. This is assuming you are using clover bootloader, if not follow the install guide and use a USB stick and only connect the new drive to the system.
I'm not using Clover.

Buy a USB stick at least 8gb and download unibeast and follow the install guide. Clover is the easiest bootloader now for the latest macOS versions and it’s popular so many people have already worked out the bugs. Check out the install guides and follow them closely it will work well for your system. Remember use a usb drive and only connect one spare drive for the install that way your working system will not be affected.

Thanks. I take it I should use UEFI instead of legacy boot mode for Unibeast?

Thanks. I take it I should use UEFI instead of legacy boot mode for Unibeast?

Yes unless your bios doesn’t feature UEFI mode. For High Sierra legacy mode is a little more tricky to set up. UEFI is more commonly used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back