Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
After following the threads of the other great cube mods and having thought about a hackintosh for a while I decided I'd tackle a cube!

After watching ebay and various sites for a few months it seemed cubes are in high demand and in low supply and to get a mint one would cost me around £100, a bit more than I wanted to spend! Some people had high expectations and priced themselves out of sales, as each week I'd see the same cube list for £300 and then expire, which was frustrating, as it could've been a potential purchase.

Eventually I picked up one for a more reasonable price but turned out to be in a much poorer condition than the seller had described it as... :problem:

They did offer to take it back but after seeing ersterhernd's results with Meguiar's Scratch X, I picked some up from amazon and set to work on it. It still has quite a few scratches and a couple of small chips (luckily mostly not on the front) but from a small distance away it still looks great. So I'm happy with it, plus spending a few hours cleaning it up makes it feel like more of a mod!

Before:
QIeR2S3l.jpg

G9HzAbWl.jpg
xL7ZdTjl.jpg
ny1lVaDl.jpg
XXKzllml.jpg

After:
Xu7dH8bl.jpg
p1Q6wEkl.jpg

LyIwX2ml.jpg
fgpFDv2l.jpg

Photos are with and without flash.
kYrd5Gkl.jpg

Certainly had a rough life from its owner(s). It's still scratched in places and I'm still undecided about returning it and "just for the extra £££" waiting for a mint one...:beachball:

My wife has just had a baby so probably going to be a slow mod until things settle down at home. Shame it didn't come with a power supply as I could've just tinkered in OS X, maybe install linux as well. Power supplies aren't cheap either and as I plan on refitting it completely doesn't seem much sense in buying one.

I do love the case and computer though, the engineering is amazing on it - wish I'd bought one back in the day!

Looks like your polishing turned out just fine!

These cubes are terrific. My folks were over at my place and when they saw the cube, they asked me to build them one, too. We lucked out and found an 8/10 cube on Craigslist, along with an absolutely mint 20" Cinema Display.

Good luck with your build, I know you'll have a lot of fun!

Regards,
Ersterhernd

Thanks! That ScratchX stuff is magic...going around seeing what else needs cleaning up!

Have you got any further? Just be aware the Intel DQ77KB motherboard is discontinued, if you had planned on using it, would investigate purchasing it ASAP.

You're absolutely right..I've seen the price go up recently.

I've not had much time over past 5 months and I'm going to wait for the Haswell equivalent of the motherboard now. I think I may just end up running linux on it so compatibility with OS X isn't a worry for me. I mostly just want a modern PC with the classic cube style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back