Contribute
Register

Forgotten HP ProBook 4540s Bios Password?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP-4540s
CPU
i5-3210M
Graphics
HD4000
Hi!

I put a password on my Probook 4540s Bios when I bought it (that was a childish move) and now I forgot it because it was a long time ago. I contact HP support and they surprise me they don't reset the Bios password anymore the only option is to replace the board.
Here is my chat history with HP Support

7:49 AM Connecting...
7:49 AM Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
7:50 AM Saving chat transcript
7:50 AM Support session established with Jabez.
7:50 AM Jabez: Greetings , Thank you for choosing HP active Chat support!
7:50 AM Muhammad Hamza Umar: Hi Jabez!
7:50 AM Jabez: Before we proceed may I know from which country are you contacting our Support ?This is to ensure that you have reached out to the right department.
7:50 AM Muhammad Hamza Umar: Pakistan
7:52 AM Muhammad Hamza Umar: I just need to reset my bios password
7:53 AM Jabez: Hi Hamza , apologies as the BIOS password cannot be reset sir!
7:53 AM Muhammad Hamza Umar: Why?
7:53 AM Jabez: The only option is to contact the Service provider to replace the system board of the PC
7:54 AM Muhammad Hamza Umar: System Board replacement just to remove bios password :O
7:56 AM Jabez: The only option is that you can try to retain / remember the password or the system board replacement is the only option
7:57 AM Muhammad Hamza Umar: My friend told me that the support team will provide me a file called smc.bin not board replacement advice.
7:58 AM Jabez: Apologies as HP has stopped the process of Smc.bin file 2 years ago Mohammed
7:58 AM Muhammad Hamza Umar: If you need any evidence for my ownership I can provide it
8:00 AM Jabez: The BIOS password cannot be reset on the PC the only option is to rpelcae the system board of the PC sir

What options do I have now?

What options do I have now?

Google (or other search engine of your choice)

Example :

Screenshot 2020-10-04 at 10.23.56.png

Google (or another search engine of your choice)

Example :

View attachment 490476

It's an old post from 2017.
Check this new one from HP Expert
As I mention above I chat with HP today and its history is displayed in the post.

It's an old post from 2017.
It's an old laptop.
The files are still available for download from that post.

The referenced post was an example - Others are available.

Last edited:
It's an old laptop.
The files are still available for download from that post.

The referenced post was an example - Others are available.
Hi!
I read that post... The HPBR Method is applicable only for limited models and 4540s isn't mention in that list. If you can get me the required version of HPBR for this model it would be a great help.
Regards

Not really a Hackintosh issue is it ?
You may do better posting elsewhere.

Hi!

I put a password on my Probook 4540s Bios when I bought it (that was a childish move) and now I forgot it because it was a long time ago. I contact HP support and they surprise me they don't reset the Bios password anymore the only option is to replace the board. What options do I have now?

Hi @Hamza93, I had the same issue with a Probook 4540s that I bought used, and have a workaround if you still need it...

Edit : read here

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back