nvidea 130m
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I've set a password for my 4530s BIOS screen long time ago. But I only logged into BIOS for several times so I don't remember the password now.

Is there a way to reset/recover the BIOS password? I can't update my BIOS firmware without the password.

PS: I can start my Lion and Win7, but can not go into BIOS and change BIOS setting. :crazy:

I think you should call HP for info about your problem.

Unacceptable answer.
Just bought one off ebay and it has a bios password.
I'm going to research how to reset it and try to report back.

Try 'password' or 'Password'...I bought mine off of eBay as well and that was the default password for it.

willpower101 said:
Unacceptable answer.
There are some hacking tools for reseting bios' passwords but you may end up with a BrickBook. So, which is better?
If you do not like my answer don't get it but is more wiser to ask for help from the manufacture company (or maybe sent it to them) than trying unreliable tools.

The BIOS password is not in software at all, so, you can't have any software to really help with that. The manufacturers purposely make it difficult to get rid of the BIOS password, to prevent unauthorized users from getting access to things. If your laptop is stolen, do you want the thief to easily crack the password and make the laptop usable for them to sell?

Typically, there will be some way to reset the password, by changing some jumper settings or something like that, but manufacturers keep that under their hat when ever possible, requiring you to contact them first.

So, how is that an unacceptable answer when it is the only valid answer? If you are being pissy because you'll have to spend maybe a half hour on the phone, you're either extremely impatient (which you've already wasted more time asking here and waiting for a response, so that is just retarded), or you're not the legit owner.

There are tools claiming for showing-reseting the Bios' password, software and hardware ones. Do a little search and you 'll find a lot of them.
So the point is what is an Unacceptable answer?
Someone asked something and I point to him to a possible solution and then someone else, all of a sudden, describing this as an unacceptable answer. And I was not even answering to him!

So there is no unacceptable answer if you asking for help at a forum. If you do not like the answer, do not use it. So simple.

Most of the ones I've seen were either hardware related, or for specific laptops that did funky things with partions (I'd seen a few oddball machines that had a special partition for storing BIOS settings to).

The only time an answer is unacceptable is if the person doesn't want to go through the effort of doing the work.

Willpower101 seems to have got one through shady means, doesn't want to admit it, and doesn't want to get caught. At least that is my take on it, since not much else would explain why they're so adamant about not calling HP. I mean, HP is cool about warrantying machines even if you're not the original owner. I remember on one machine, I got it from a friend, sans power supply (he lost it in a move), and I called them up wanting to buy one, and they said that since it was still under warranty (had to give them serial number when calling in), they would send me one out free of charge. I didn't hide the fact that it was used, or missing power supply (I told them flat out), but they did it anyway. So, if the company is willing to help people who use its products, even if they didn't buy it new, then they can't be all that bad.

You can take off the parts of this laptop till you arrive at the motherboard, get off the little circular battery for 5 minutes and make sure your original battery is removed also the charger is not plugged in, then after 5 minutes put in the little battery back and it should boot with default bios settings without asking you for the password

Thanks, I'll try that answer tomorrow morning. From what I know about computers I did think that was the answer but I wanted to find the procedural answer. HP assumes you will only need them and the Windows install it came with. One who owns it should be able to access or fix it back without jumping through too many hoops. Commentary: We shouldn't have to call the company from the South Pole long after the product is out of support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back