Contribute
Register

Forgotten BIOS password for 4530s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I'll try that answer tomorrow morning. From what I know about computers I did think that was the answer but I wanted to find the procedural answer. HP assumes you will only need them and the Windows install it came with. One who owns it should be able to access or fix it back without jumping through too many hoops. Commentary: We shouldn't have to call the company from the South Pole long after the product is out of support.

Didn't have to do all that as I was able to login [to F10 BIOS Settings] as Guest with no password and then set a BIOS Administrator password which gave me immediate access to all of the settings. I then Reset Security Settings To Factory Defaults--which removed all of the problem. Mine was that security had been setup but with no Administrator so all of the BIOS Settings were greyed out. I suppose removing the battery would come up with the same results.

You can take off the parts of this laptop till you arrive at the motherboard, get off the little circular battery for 5 minutes and make sure your original battery is removed also the charger is not plugged in, then after 5 minutes put in the little battery back and it should boot with default bios settings without asking you for the password

anyone had succes with this method?

(i got mine of for 10 minutes but bios pasword is still active :(

even worse now that the correct time cant be set

what is the best way to solve this problem?.... new bios chip or cracking it with windows software...

any advise would be greatly apreciated

Alternatively, call HP support (i'm in the UK, but I think it gets routed to a global call centre), tell them your BIOS is locked, ask them to provide the unlock SMC.bin (they will ask for your devices UUID number) and then about a week later they will send you the SMC.bin file plus instructions. Not only that, they called me two times to check my problem was resolved. Unbelievably good customer service.

I have to say, all credit to HP, my laptop is 4 years old (3 years out of guarantee), is not a premium / high margin product, but with the minimum of fuss they sorted out the problem. They didn't ask me for a proof of purchase - they may ask you - but if the product is genuinely yours then you are bound to have a receipt in your email, a credit card statement or an ebay invoice - but like i said, they never asked me.

I'll buy HP again any day.

Quick update, in my case, my machine seems unable to have BIOS users without passwords.

If I create a new user, they get some unknown password by default and require that unknown password to boot the laptop. I'm unable to reset this password or remove the password from the Administrator user - this also means I cannot get back into the bios without the SMC.bin tool (and I can only use that if my laptops clock is set to within 7 days of the date HP sent me the SMC.bin).

So mystery about how my machine got a password on the Administrator BIOS user in the first place is solved - I think the TPM chip where it saves the passwords is dead and must be generating random passwords. Sadly this means I can't access the bios without the SMC.bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back