Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Forcing RGB mode for problematic displays

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn’t suppose to happen. Did you replace the files?
Yes, I made the patch. Before doing so, the defect is more pronounced, but after applying the patch it decreases considerably, although it is still perceived a little. In Mojave this does not happen, since everything works without applying any patch.

Yes, I made the patch. Before doing so, the defect is more pronounced, but after applying the patch it decreases considerably, although it is still perceived a little. In Mojave this does not happen, since everything works without applying any patch.
Well how did you take a screenshot with colour banding? A screenshot should be without any artefact no matter the issue happens or not.

Well how did you take a screenshot with colour banding? A screenshot should be without any artefact no matter the issue happens or not.
Greetings @ Bustycat, I managed to solve the error. Thank you for your input.

For macOS 11 Big Sur and later, the solution is significantly changed as the System folder is read-only.
  1. Download the ZIP package of patch-edid.rb and uncompress it
  2. Type in ruby in Terminal and drag patch-edid.rb so it will look like ruby /<path>/patch-edid.rb, and then press the return key
  3. You will find the folder DisplayVendorID-xxxx in the /Users/<your account>/ folder
  4. Copy the folder to /Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/, and you should create the folders by yourself following the same structure first
  5. Restart your computer
This solution does not require SIP or any security function disabled. I recommend that users of older operating systems like Catalina also try it first. Do not use Hackintool to generate as it will not work.

Last edited:
Honestly my system partition was damage and unable to boot by re-enabling SIP after those failed experiments. Fortunately I was able to use the Recovery partition to re-install Big Sur so my build is now fully functional again.

Do not attempt to read-write the system partition anymore...

My Philips 276E8VJSB has been replaced with a new ASUS TUF Gaming VG289Q display today, as the panel of the former is decaying faster than my expectation and showing significant defects. In contrast, VG289Q works well out of box for macOS and does not require the workaround for colour banding. I also have removed the files in /Library/... for avoiding issues.

If the solution does not work in the future, I will not be able to test and fix immediately, but I will still try to handle for other people later.

I am planning to bring the Philips display to my office next week instead of selling it, so I will still be able to test in the future.

I have brought the Philips display to my office and connected it to HD 7850 via a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable. The colour banding issue does not happen to HD 7850 at all.:banghead: I no longer need the workaround for my two build now.

Last edited:
I have rewritten the first post as a comprehensive solution for all problematic displays. I believe that lots of people still require it for their display and are able to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back