Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
You may need to force RGB mode to your display, if it encounters:
  • Colour banding
  • Magenta screen
  • Blurry texts
  • Labeled as a TV but actually it is not
  • Et cetera
macOS may have sent a signal with YCbCr instead of RGB to your display, but yours cannot handle. To solve the problem, follow the steps to override EDID:
  1. Connect your display
  2. Download patch-edid.rb
  3. Type in ruby on Terminal and drag patch-edid.rb into so it will look like ruby /<path>/patch-edid.rb, and then press the return key
  4. You will find the folder DisplayVendorID-xxxx in the /Users/<your account>/ folder
  5. Copy the generated folder to /Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/ (create the folders by yourself following the same structure first)
  6. Restart your computer
If your macOS is 10.12 to 10.15, you could also copy to /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/ but this requires disabled SIP. If you attempt to copy to that path on macOS 10.15, you also need to disable Gatekeeper and mount the disk in read/write mode.

On macOS 10.11 and older, copy to /System/Library/Displays/Overrides/ instead.

When you no longer need it, just simply delete the folder you put into. The solution can be traced back to macOS 10.8.

Original title: 4K display HDMI and DisplayPort issues with RX 580

I just bought a 4K display (Philips 276E8VJSB) and it worked well on Windows 10 (version 1903). The display connected with an HDMI 2.0 cable will not have any signal immediately after booting into macOS 10.14.5, but the signal could be recovered by easily replugging the HDMI cable.

I also have tried a DisplayPort 1.4 cable today, and the problem mentioned earlier is solved. However, many of elements of the macOS user interface like the translucent sidebar would display only 4-bit colours (supposed to be 10-bit), resulting in colour banding, yet other things like images are not affected. Screenshots would not show the problem.

I used only MultiBeast to set my computer. Now I have to stay with HDMI as colours are more important than convenience for me. Although the issues are somehow minor, they are annoying to me. Sleep/Wake, however, always work well.

I would appreciate so much if one of them could be properly resolved.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Methods I have tried but failed:

Please post your EFI folder and a screenshot of what's in your /Library/Extensions/ folder.

HDMI has always proven to be a bit unreliable for me. In my experience, DisplayPort has always worked much better.

Also, have you tried injecting Orinoco framebuffer to see if colours are improved?
Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 10.24.27 AM.png

Please post your EFI folder and a screenshot of what's in your /Library/Extensions/ folder.

HDMI has always proven to be a bit unreliable for me. In my experience, DisplayPort has always worked much better.

Also, have you tried injecting Orinoco framebuffer to see if colours are improved?
View attachment 416018
Here is the CLOVER folder and the screenshot. Sorry I have forgot what the tool is.

I do want to use DisplayPort more if there is no colour banding. I spent extra money on the cable.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 129
  • 螢幕快照 2019-07-12 22.31.13.png
    螢幕快照 2019-07-12 22.31.13.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 172
Here is the CLOVER folder and the screenshot. Sorry I have forgot what the tool is.

I do want to use DisplayPort more if there is no colour banding. I spent extra money on the cable.

Please make a backup of your existing EFI folder and try this EFI folder to see if it helps and remember to try with/without Orinoco.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    29 MB · Views: 139
Please make a backup of your existing EFI folder and try this EFI folder to see if it helps and remember to try with/without Orinoco.
Unfortunately this does not solve the problems for HDMI and DisplayPort at all. Should I still try Orinoco and how should I try it?

Unfortunately this does not solve the problems for HDMI and DisplayPort at all. Should I still try Orinoco and how should I try it?

Just edit your config.plist > Graphics section as shown in post #3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back