Contribute
Register

Forced to "install high sierra" - can´t download full installer for USB-install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Ignore me
CPU
I'm Ignoring
Graphics
the Forum RULES !!!!
I tried to download High Sierra via AppStore on my old build to create a fresh USB-Install-stick for my new build - but what I get is a window, where I have to press "Continue" (to set up the installation of macOS High Sierra) and then "Agree to the terms" and select the Harddrive where I want to install High-Sierra.
I did not go any further - because I do not want to upgrade my old build. There is nothing beeing downloaded in the background. I need a Install-stick. :/

Any solutions?

I tried to download High Sierra via AppStore on my old build to create a fresh USB-Install-stick for my new build - but what I get is a window, where I have to press "Continue" (to set up the installation of macOS High Sierra) and then "Agree to the terms" and select the Harddrive where I want to install High-Sierra.
I did not go any further - because I do not want to upgrade my old build. There is nothing beeing downloaded in the background. I need a Install-stick. :/

Any solutions?

You can close the window. The High Sierra installer will still be available in the Applications Directory. Look at this guide.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-sierra-public-beta-installation-usb.225520/

You can close the window. The High Sierra installer will still be available in the Applications Directory. Look at this guide.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-sierra-public-beta-installation-usb.225520/

That guide refers to the public-beta-program. I try to download the COMPLETE 5 GB high-sierra-update through the app-store - but I am stuck just with the tiny 19MB high-sierra-update-app(which is waiting to update my current system), but which makes it impossible to create a bootable USB-install disc - right?

Any solutions?

• When you complete the download, you will see the icon for macOS High Sierra on the Dock (bottom "taskbar")
  • It may show a prompt to press "Continue" as Apple Store at this stage is expecting a download to a real mac computer and assumes the intention of the person downloading it, is to start the installation. It has no idea that it is going into a Hackintosh PC and the person downloading does not want a usual upgrade installation!
  • What can you do to use the downloaded macOS High Sierra Installer file Not to prompt you to start the installation and instead allow you to create a USB Installer disk as you plan to do?
    • RIGHT-click the Installer icon on Dash.
    • Click from the popup context menu Click on "Options"> " Show in Finder" .
      • This will make the installer to go into "Applications" folder
    • Return to the Dash and one more time Right_click on the High Sierra Installer Icon
    • From the context menu select and click on "Options">"Quit".
      • This will remove High Sierra icon from Dash.
    • Now you can use Disk Utility to format your USB Flash drive in HFS+ and GUID and rename the disk "USB"
    • Launch Terminal and type:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app —nointeraction

I try to download the COMPLETE 5 GB high-sierra-update through the app-store - but I am stuck just with the tiny 19MB high-sierra-update-app(which is waiting to update my current system), but which makes it impossible to create a bootable USB-install disc - right?
You have an incomplete Download . You need to Delete that and re-download.
Before trying to download again complete the following:
1 .Turn Off FileVault in > System Preferences > security & privacy > FileVault

2 Download MacOS HighSierra From App Store but do not click Continue

3 Use your Formatted "USB"

4 Launch Terminal and type install command and ENTER

You have an incomplete Download . You need to Delete that and re-download.
Before trying to download again complete the following:
1 .Turn Off FileVault in > System Preferences > security & privacy > FileVault

2 Download MacOS HighSierra From App Store but do not click Continue

3 Use your Formatted "USB"

4 Launch Terminal and type install command and ENTER

Thnx for your replies. I have been trough this proces 3 times now - it will not download - it just downloads when I continue the install-process. It then creates a folder in the root-directory "macOS Install Data" which is about 5.2 GB of size - but Unibeast will not create an bootable install out of that. The High-sierra-con in unibeast is "inactive".

Using the terminal is no solution, because the commands point to the install-folder in Applications - but there are jsut the 19 MB and not the 5,2 GB of install-data, which I have found in the root-folder.

Maybe it´s important to mention: I´m using my old P55-chipset-build with Mavericks - i´ve changed the system profiler to Mac14,1, to be abel to download high-sierra through the (cr-)app store.

I have have a new Z270-chipset-based-build, where I need a sierra & high sierra install-stick really bad.

I found it back in the days really better to be able to use DVD´s offline and "easy". This app-store thing really p*sses me off. Ours&Ours of wastet time. And there is no ability do download sierra instead, if you never had installed it before - there is just high-sierra which I can download.

My two mac books pro (original) are gone/dead - so I am kind of stuck to this old p55-mavericks-system.

Thnx for your replies. I have been trough this proces 3 times now - it will not download - it just downloads when I continue the install-process. It then creates a folder in the root-directory "macOS Install Data" which is about 5.2 GB of size - but Unibeast will not create an bootable install out of that. The High-sierra-con in unibeast is "inactive".

Using the terminal is no solution, because the commands point to the install-folder in Applications - but there are jsut the 19 MB and not the 5,2 GB of install-data, which I have found in the root-folder.

Maybe it´s important to mention: I´m using my old P55-chipset-build with Mavericks - i´ve changed the system profiler to Mac14,1, to be abel to download high-sierra through the (cr-)app store.

I have have a new Z270-chipset-based-build, where I need a sierra & high sierra install-stick really bad.

I found it back in the days really better to be able to use DVD´s offline and "easy". This app-store thing really p*sses me off. Ours&Ours of wastet time. And there is no ability do download sierra instead, if you never had installed it before - there is just high-sierra which I can download.

My two mac books pro (original) are gone/dead - so I am kind of stuck to this old p55-mavericks-system.
Unibeast will not create an bootable install out of that. The High-sierra-con in unibeast is "inactive".

macOS High Sierra Unibeast is not released yet.
Unibeast 7.1.1 will not create a bootable macOS High Sierra USB installer.
In Tonymac Downloads it says
Support Note:
UniBeast 7 uses Clover as the bootloader and supports macOS Sierra USB creation only.

• Please use the Terminal command on a 16GB USB Flash drive after using "Erase" menu on "Disk Utility" of a mac or Hackintosh and the finished installer must have a GUID Partition scheme, HFS+ Format [= macOS Extended (Journaled)] and name :"USB"
  • After launching the "Terminal" use the following Command to Copy the downloaded macOS High Sierra Installer from Applications folder on to the Formatted USB Flash drive named "USB":

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app --nointeraction
I hope this helps to create the USB installer for High Sierra.
  • Please make sure to use "Verbose Mode" (-v boot flag) booting until the system installation is complete and everything works OK before using GUI booting with Apple Logo.
  • If problem occurs during Boot ,please take photo (s) and upload to the Forum when asking for help.
Edited: to include:

If you have the installer file downloaded anywhere in your current hard disk, you can copy and paste it to Applications Folder .

You may check its sha1 finger print to verify its integrity.

Last edited:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app --nointeraction

Thnx, but I can just kind-of-download the current High-Sierra-Version (not beta!)

- As mentioned before, I´ve just the folder "Install macOS High Sierra" in /Applications - with a size of 19MB
- I have to start the install-process, then the installer downloads "something" big, which takes 1-2 ours.
- Then I have the option to install my (mavericks) system by restarting it - which I have done.
- The system restarts and mavericks is still installed - no update so far (why?)
- But now there is the folder "macOS Install Data" in the / (root) directory.

- Log-File (ia.log) in the mentioned "macOS Install Data" Folder in root (the 36 last lines in the ia.log):

"
Oct 14 20:21:49 hacki osishelperd[1733]: mountDiskImageWithPath: /macOS Install Data/BaseSystem.dmg
Oct 14 20:21:50 hacki osinstallersetupplaind[1727]: Is solid state disk returned: -69808
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osishelperd[1733]: Mounting disk image complete, results dict = {
"system-entities" = (
{
"content-hint" = "GUID_partition_scheme";
"dev-entry" = "/dev/disk1";
"potentially-mountable" = 0;
"unmapped-content-hint" = "GUID_partition_scheme";
},
{
"content-hint" = "Apple_HFS";
"dev-entry" = "/dev/disk1s1";
"mount-point" = "/Volumes/OS X Base System";
"potentially-mountable" = 1;
"unmapped-content-hint" = "48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC";
"volume-kind" = hfs;
}
);
}
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osishelperd[1733]: Failed to prep /Volumes/OS X Base System for brtool
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osishelperd[1733]: Copying brtool from /Volumes/OS X Base System/usr/libexec/brtool_plain to /macOS Install Data/brtool
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osishelperd[1733]: WARN: using mkdir instead of rootless_mkdir_restricted because the platform does not support it.
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osisstashhelper[2087]: Stash helper tool loaded.
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osisstashhelper[2087]: GetModel: model = iMac; major rev = 14; minor rev = 1
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osisstashhelper[2087]: Machine appears to be AR capable
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osishelperd[1733]: GetModel: model = iMac; major rev = 14; minor rev = 1
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osishelperd[1733]: Machine appears to be AR capable
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osishelperd[1733]: Not an FDE volume, won't stash FDE
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osishelperd[1733]: Staged principal user cookie to /private/var/db
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osishelperd[1733]: GetModel: model = iMac; major rev = 14; minor rev = 1
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osishelperd[1733]: Stash commit success
"

- Anyway - I´ve tried the terminal-command - without the "beta" in it:

Command: "sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction"

What then happens: "/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application."

At last: There are users reporting, they had to upgrade the system to at least to sierra before they where able to download the high-sierra-update - without initiating the install-process. Then the USB-terminal-command worked for them. But I can not upgrade to sierra - the app-store points directly to high-sierra. Because I´ve never upgraded to sierra, I even can not upgrade trough "purchased" apps in app-store to sierra.

Thnx, but I can just kind-of-download the current High-Sierra-Version (not beta!)

- As mentioned before, I´ve just the folder "Install macOS High Sierra" in /Applications - with a size of 19MB
- I have to start the install-process, then the installer downloads "something" big, which takes 1-2 ours.
- Then I have the option to install my (mavericks) system by restarting it - which I have done.
- The system restarts and mavericks is still installed - no update so far (why?)
- But now there is the folder "macOS Install Data" in the / (root) directory.

- Log-File (ia.log) in the mentioned "macOS Install Data" Folder in root (the 36 last lines in the ia.log):

"
Oct 14 20:21:49 hacki osishelperd[1733]: mountDiskImageWithPath: /macOS Install Data/BaseSystem.dmg
Oct 14 20:21:50 hacki osinstallersetupplaind[1727]: Is solid state disk returned: -69808
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osishelperd[1733]: Mounting disk image complete, results dict = {
"system-entities" = (
{
"content-hint" = "GUID_partition_scheme";
"dev-entry" = "/dev/disk1";
"potentially-mountable" = 0;
"unmapped-content-hint" = "GUID_partition_scheme";
},
{
"content-hint" = "Apple_HFS";
"dev-entry" = "/dev/disk1s1";
"mount-point" = "/Volumes/OS X Base System";
"potentially-mountable" = 1;
"unmapped-content-hint" = "48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC";
"volume-kind" = hfs;
}
);
}
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osishelperd[1733]: Failed to prep /Volumes/OS X Base System for brtool
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osishelperd[1733]: Copying brtool from /Volumes/OS X Base System/usr/libexec/brtool_plain to /macOS Install Data/brtool
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osishelperd[1733]: WARN: using mkdir instead of rootless_mkdir_restricted because the platform does not support it.
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osisstashhelper[2087]: Stash helper tool loaded.
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osisstashhelper[2087]: GetModel: model = iMac; major rev = 14; minor rev = 1
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osisstashhelper[2087]: Machine appears to be AR capable
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osishelperd[1733]: Not an FDE volume, won't stash FDE
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osishelperd[1733]: Staged principal user cookie to /private/var/db
Oct 14 20:21:51 hacki osishelperd[1733]: Stash commit success
"

- Anyway - I´ve tried the terminal-command - without the "beta" in it:

Command: "sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction"

What then happens: "/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application."

At last: There are users reporting, they had to upgrade the system to at least to sierra before they where able to download the high-sierra-update - without initiating the install-process. Then the USB-terminal-command worked for them. But I can not upgrade to sierra - the app-store points directly to high-sierra. Because I´ve never upgraded to sierra, I even can not upgrade trough "purchased" apps in app-store to sierra.

I will try to test install Mavericks on a SATA HDD and try to do an upgrade to High Sierra by trying to download its installer to that system and then create a USB installer in that as well as a direct upgrade. Once I finish, I will post the results hoping to help you.

In the mean time , please "Send to Trash" all the incomplete High Sierra Installer files you have downloaded to your hard drive. They will block downloading a fresh file by sitting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back