Contribute
Register

Force trackpad preferences without battery?

Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 5378
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I have a MacBook Pro 13-inch mid 2010, which I removed the battery from due to it swelling to the point that the trackpad could no longer physically click. But removing the battery causes the trackpad preference pane in System Preferences to be empty (at least in both macOS 10.13 and 10.14 beta) even though the trackpad works fine and is detected in System Profiler. A few other MacBook users have noticed this as well: see https://apple.stackexchange.com/q/300342/151636 and the "Linked" questions.

I'm curious if there's a workaround to either force the trackpad preferences to appear, or somehow trick macOS into thinking there's a battery present (and in turn that enables trackpad preferences). In particular, is this something that existing hackintosh tools might allow?

For example, VoodooPS2Controller has some capability for force-enabling trackpad preferences, but my understanding is that's only intended for using trackpads not made by Apple. Would it be easy to extend it to work for MacBook trackpads, or is that too far outside the scope of what it's meant for?