Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> For those looking for a laptop, Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro is literally THE best laptop for Hackintosh compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
LG Gram 13 inch
CPU
i7-8650u
Graphics
Blackmagic eGPU
I have a Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro and I think it is the best laptop overall for Hackintosh.
Some of the reasons I like Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro:
  • It has a detailed but very simple guide, it says High Sierra but I have tried and you can install Mojave with the exact same steps. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-xiaomi-mi-notebook-pro-high-sierra-10-13-6.242724/
  • I have read some other laptop guides and many of them require you to manually install kexts or configure the config.plist or other , where as someone already made a working CLOVER folder we can download for this laptop.
  • 99% of the things work perfectly. Wifi, Bluetooth, Fingerprint reader, Dedicated GPU, and SD card reader don't work, but you will not find these things on other laptops either.
  • The laptop is popular on this forum so there will be more people that can help you
  • It really looks like a Macbook, which was probably Xiaomi's intention
  • Reasonable price
The only downside is that it is not sold outside China, you will have to import it from sites like Gearbest or AliExpress. If you can get one, I do think that no other laptop is better than this one for Hackintosh.

If anyone disagrees with me or feels that another laptop is better for Hackintosh, I would love to have a discussion with you below :)

Out of curiosity, what would be the cost of a macbook pro with the same specs of a Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro?
The main problem is that the second hand market for Xiaomi Notebooks is almost non existent (at least in the UK), so you have to buy it brand new. And in that case, wouldn't a second hand (obviously in good conditions) macbook pro be a better solution? The cost would be pretty much the same.

Hello,

How works Hybernation? I mean, when I had a MacBook I never powered off. Just closes the screen and open it. Hybernation was immediate. How does it work??

Also, can you tell u about battery life?

I think my ASUS Zenbook UX430 is better. Everything works, even SD card reader. You only need to replace wifi adapter.[in my case I did not replace wi-fi card, but just purchased cheap TP-link USB adapter]. The UX430 is around same price as Xiaomi MI notebook pro but you can get different Zenbook models for more or less money depending on your budget..

My guide starting on post #7 https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-8550-kaby-lake-r-alc294.243618/#post-1683113

Last edited:
H
I think my ASUS Zenbook UX430 is better. Everything works, even SD card reader. You only need to replace wifi adapter. It is around same price as Xiaomi MI notebook pro but you can get different Zenbook models for more or less money depending on your budget..

My guide starting on post #7 https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-8550-kaby-lake-r-alc294.243618/#post-1683113

Hello my friend
whats the average battery time you get with you Hackintosh config with this laptop

Thank you.

I think pretty much almost every laptop has everything working except those things listed. The difference is most don't have a soldered wifi chip so you can change the chip and get wifi/Bluetooth working great with no dongle bs(dongles are inferior to having macos thing you have a legit airport extreme inside).
I'll choose any laptop with similar specs but has a changeable wifi card over this thing.

I'm really happy with my Yoga 910. Sleep, touchpad, touchscreen, USB ports, WiFi, Bluetooth, all is great! But since recently I also owe a MacBook Air I'm missing the fingerprint reader. That is a great feature I'd love to have with all my computers.

Hello my friend
whats the average battery time you get with you Hackintosh config with this laptop

Thank you.

I get 7-8 hours straight run-time. Obviously it lasts longer if you put to sleep, etc.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back