Contribute
Register

for final cut pro x? ( r290x or gtx970)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question, how come it doesn't support? the iMac 5k has r9 290x...
so there should be drivers for the Hackintosh right?

Sorry, I'm still at a beginner level when it comes to hackingtosh

The iMac 5K doesn't have a R9-290X it has either an R9 M290X or and R9 M295X. The 'M' is the mobile version and is a classic case of badge engineering.

AFAIK the R9 M290X is a very, very different beast to a real 290X as is the M295X.

Rob.

Yes, I run two DVI monitors off a single card. I couldn't get 2 x DVI and an HDMI to work though. Triple monitors seems difficult, but as i have two cards I run the third monitor off the second card. The monitors are for development though rather than FCP X.

Rob.

damn.. then the motherboard I was looking into won't do.. it has 1 dvi and 1 hdmi...

you use Z97Z-UD5H.. hmm..

NEVER MIND.. just realized I won't be using the motherboard.. but the graphics card..
(IM SO STUPID DUUUUUUUUUHH)

which 280x do you use.. the one I was scoping only had 1 DVI..
but it has 2 mini display ports.. I'm looking into
[h=1]Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X Rev2 OC[/h]

damn.. then the motherboard I was looking into won't do.. it has 1 dvi and 1 hdmi...

you use Z97Z-UD5H.. hmm..

NEVER MIND.. just realized I won't be using the motherboard.. but the graphics card..
(IM SO STUPID DUUUUUUUUUHH)

which 280x do you use.. the one I was scoping only had 1 DVI..

Never use the onboard graphics with FCP X. Its sloooooooooooooow.

I have the Sapphire Vapor-X as per my signature. I have two of them running in parallel.

Rob.

I have a GTX 970, and it managed a bruceX score of 53 secs, which is decent but slow compared to 280x.
If you also use CUDA apps and have plans to dual boot on windows , then 970 will give you that flexibility, and it's openCL score on windows is much better. And 970 cards run cool and silent, compared to 280x.

But, if you work mainly in fcpx, then R9 280x is a better choice. as it's openCL is optimised for OS X and fcpx. Infact, two 280X cards will be even better.

As for 4K, these cards will be ok, but, i think you need cards with more ram, like 6GB or 8GB to deal with 4K.

It's a shame that 280x is so well supported, but the 290x, which is much more powerful-- and right now cheap new and used-- isn't so well supported. The 280x is essentially just a 7970 rebadge-- a GPU launched in January 2012!

As a side note, the mobile M290X (rebadge of a rebadge!) is essentially the same as a desktop 7870 (Pitcairn), and the mobile M295X is similar/the same chip family as the desktop 285X (Tonga).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back