Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi!

Everything is working great on my skylake hackintosh except fonts are UGLY!

I'm using internal HD530 with the monitor U3415W, connected through DP (even the sound is working over DP).

Fonts look glorious in Windows. In El Capitan, t'is a mix of blurs and jaggies.

I tried forcing RGB mode so my monitor is no longer detected as a TV. Not better.
I tried all kinds of fontsmoothing settings in terminal (0-5), it only tweaks the ugly.

Is this something I have to live with since my monitor is not retina? Code in Android Studio is especially uglier when running the OSX version.

I have the same problem.

I'm just making this clear right off the bat: This is not an issue unique to a hackintosh system, it affects most (if not all) external (and third party, as in non-Apple display) connected to a Mac.

Fonts and even icons (examine menubar icons) look fuzzy/jagged. Some quick googling will give you a lot of hits and reveal that this is something that affects many users.

The thing is, whenever someone posts about this, it tends to end in a very unhelpful "discussion".

You have the users claiming that the poster is used to retina now, so everything else looks crap - even after the poster has assured fonts on his monitor looks great in Windows or Linux. Then what he's experiencing will usually be attributed to the fact that Mac (OS X/macOs) has a different font rendering from Windows and Linux... now, that is true, BUT, that's not what we're talking about here. Personally, I find the font rendering to be beautiful, near perfect: when viewed on a screen where it looks like it should. What we're talking about here is just the fact that when you connect an external display to your Mac or Hackintosh, fonts and icons, don't look that great, compared to either your retina screen or your non-retina screen, even compared to your non-retina Apple display.

Many users do not really know how everything is supposed to look, it might be their first Hackintosh or Mac, they might not even have tried to connect a non-Apple external display to their Mac - of course, none of this stops them from engaing in the discussion, only serving to convolute it.

The problem is most readily spotted on fonts and icons, but actually, everything on the screen looks worse.

Here are the actual solutions that *can* work, for some monitors:

1) Override your displays EDID file and force full RGB mode. Here's a guide:

http://www.mathewinkson.com/2013/03...x-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor/

Before you do that though, go to "System Report" and check under Graphic/Displays what mode your monitor is already at. If you find something like limited RGB here, or that your monitor is recognized as a TV, then you should try this fix.

Personally, I have tried this fix with my two Dell monitors, one U2412M (1920x1200) and one U2515 (2560x1440). It did not help, sadly. But other users have reported success.

2) This is probably the most worthless fix/workaround, but many will refer to the fact that you need to enable font smoothing for non-Apple displays. This may be true, but this is not actually the reason why your image looks so bad (fonts and icon fuzzyness). Anyway, this is how you adjust how smoothed fonts are:

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2

The values you can use are 1-4: where 4 is the most smoothed and 0 is disabled.

3) Use different cables to connect. Try HDMI, DVI, Displayport, mDP to DP. Some users have reported tried just about everything, but the only thing that gave a good result was the official Apple mDP to DVI cable. You can also try mDP to HDMI...

I've yet to find a solution that works for me, I will soon be upgrading to either a 4k monitor or the Dell 5k, hopefully the resolution increase will mask the problem.

That's an issue which regularly comes up, and it's quite hard to solve, because I can't visit anyone at home to judge if their display quality is as good as it's supposed to be.

The only things I've personally seen so far are:
  • Non-native display resolution (pretty obvious)
  • Overscan / underscan issues (only on HDMI)
  • Wrong color space, because OS X thinks you're using a TV (only HDMI)
I've seen lots of Apple and non-Apple displays hooked up to Macs/Hacks in my life, both with classical resolutions (e.g. 1920x1200 on 24"), slightly increased resolutions (e.g. 1440p on 25") or high resolutions (4K/UHD/Retina stuff).

Apples font rendering looks more smooth to me, which is very beautiful on displays with medium to high resolutions, but looks a little blurry on low resolution displays (e.g. my old MBP with 1440x900 on 15"). Nothing you couldc't get used to though.

At home I'm using a Dell U2515H (1440p on 25"), which is looking awesome to me (OOB without configuering anything), both in Windows and OS X. Just when using scaling (vector scaling in Windows vs. custom "non-2x" HiDPI resolutions in OS X) the OS X image gets worse due to the interpolation involved (still better than Windows when using unsupported applications though).

There might also be additional issues, but I've never observed them personally, so I can't comment on that. From my experience a 3rd party display shouldn't look any worse than an Apple display with the same size/resolution though.

Fl0r!an: How (cable) is your Dell U2515H connected, and is it from your GTX 660 or GTX 780, or IGFX?

I've tried DP to DP and mDP to DP, both look crap. I've verified it's running at the native resolution, and I know what it's supposed to look like (as I use it in Windows), I've verified that OS X do not think it's a TV. If I try HDMI cable instead of DP or mDP to DP, I don't get native resolution.

What you could do is provide us with a screenshot and a camera shot of what the picture and fonts look like on your Dell U2515H. That way I can compare with mine.

I'll try to take a good picture of the screen when I'm home. No guarantee that I'll be able to produce something meaningful though.

It's looking the same on all ports (HDMI and DP) and on all GPUs. I've had it running on iGPU, R9 280, GTX 660, GTX 770 and GTX 780 in the past months, all the same.

I've attached an image of my U2515H. Quite heavy Moiré pattern, but that's the best I could get...

U2515H.jpg

Hm, can you take a couple of regular screenshots instead? Not zoomed in or anything, just a screenshot of your entire desktop.

Sure, here you go:
Desktop.png

I'd investigate that screenshot both in OS X and Windows and compare it to the text rendering on your machine. I think there are three different outcomes:
  1. Screenshot looks good in Windows and bad in OS X: There must a problem with the way OS X drives your screen.
  2. Screenshot looks bad to you both in Windows and OS X: You just don't like Apples text rendering.
  3. Screenshot looks fine in both OS: Text rendering in your OS X installation seems to be broken somehow.

I wouldn't expect to see anything display specific on a screenshot though... ;)

Hi!

Everything is working great on my skylake hackintosh except fonts are UGLY!

I'm using internal HD530 with the monitor U3415W, connected through DP (even the sound is working over DP).

Fonts look glorious in Windows. In El Capitan, t'is a mix of blurs and jaggies.

I tried forcing RGB mode so my monitor is no longer detected as a TV. Not better.
I tried all kinds of fontsmoothing settings in terminal (0-5), it only tweaks the ugly.

Is this something I have to live with since my monitor is not retina? Code in Android Studio is especially uglier when running the OSX version.

I have been searching for a solution to this for ages. Turned out to be the generic 3 meter DVI cable I was using.
I tried a shorter and better quality one and guess what? It works perfectly now. Wish I had started with the one supplied with the monitor.

Sure, here you go:
View attachment 203199

I'd investigate that screenshot both in OS X and Windows and compare it to the text rendering on your machine. I think there are three different outcomes:
  1. Screenshot looks good in Windows and bad in OS X: There must a problem with the way OS X drives your screen.
  2. Screenshot looks bad to you both in Windows and OS X: You just don't like Apples text rendering.
  3. Screenshot looks fine in both OS: Text rendering in your OS X installation seems to be broken somehow.

I wouldn't expect to see anything display specific on a screenshot though... ;)

The display is great!
I encounter the same problem, and I want to konw Whick port and what cable you are using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back