Contribute
Register

Fleischs cube project with GA-H77TN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think when considering GPUs for a Cube you need to start maybe from the viewpoint of what advantage there is over the better integrated graphics - i.e. I guess, as we are talking Intel, this means the HD4000 - and then decide how much graphics performance you want/need.

If you are really set on more than the HD4000 can offer and you need to do it to a Cube then look at what might work.

A bit of a search gave this article from a little while back (a bit old now and searching harder will probably give you a better find): http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/ivy-bridge-preview-core-i7-3770k/11 For instance, an old generation GT440 easily beats the HD4000 and at this size etc. http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-440-channel/specifications it can be squeezed into the Cube (after modding the backplate and the cooling) and with a 65W power consumption you could make it work.

There must be a large selection of GPUs that could be made to fit in that way, but it is not really ever going to be an easy option for getting current mid to high end cards to work inside the Cube.

You'll need to do some serious research now.

I think when considering GPUs for a Cube you need to start maybe from the viewpoint of what advantage there is over the better integrated graphics - i.e. I guess, as we are talking Intel, this means the HD4000 - and then decide how much graphics performance you want/need.

If you are really set on more than the HD4000 can offer and you need to do it to a Cube then look at what might work.

A bit of a search gave this article from a little while back (a bit old now and searching harder will probably give you a better find): http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/ivy-bridge-preview-core-i7-3770k/11 For instance, an old generation GT440 easily beats the HD4000 and at this size etc. http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-440-channel/specifications it can be squeezed into the Cube (after modding the backplate and the cooling) and with a 65W power consumption you could make it work.

There must be a large selection of GPUs that could be made to fit in that way, but it is not really ever going to be an easy option for getting current mid to high end cards to work inside the Cube.

You'll need to do some serious research now.

Right you are!
I've been reading maaany posts and still can't decide on what way to go...
Looking at sleppeks 2.1 mod the coolers of the GPU and CPU are pointing right at each other. I somehow got the thought in my head to figure out a way to use one big heatsink (or 2 against each other) and use a fan at the bottom of the case to get the airflow moving from bottom to top...just like the original model
To find all the hardware possible is tough.
If i was to use a separate gpu i would need a board with 16x pcie. that narrows it down a bit. not sure if i should try zotac or gigabyte...
how in the hell did sleppek get the 6670 to work with the 192w psu...

how in the hell did sleppek get the 6670 to work with the 192w psu...

People often quote maximum power consumption and usually real world power draw is a lot less.

I tend on this kind of build to test the power draw myself before building them into a case so I know what to expect.

A cheap watt power meter that plugs into the mains is worth getting.

Hi Fleisch,

I agree with all opinions stated by all before me, in that it is a huge task to run any type of graphics card in the cube.
I am currently trying to run a GT 650Ti with an i5 CPU in an air cooled cube, and struck disaster which I think was a power supply over heating trying to get enough juice to the Cube for stability, and the heat factor kicks in with a whole load of other problems to sort out with trying to get it out of there.

I think in your situation I would follow Ersterhernds build, for grunt with stability, and forget about a graphics card, unless you have plenty of time to play and money to burn.
When I get more time, I will start back at my cooling the cube thread with a new round of mods that entails a 450watt SX PSU in the cube to power the GT 650Ti and the i5. with added mods for cooling , all with Noctua fans for the CPU and External case blowers with mods to the top for extraction.

Good luck with your build and I don't wish to put you off modding your Cube to the extremes, but be prepared for frustrating times if you want to push the envelope as I and many other's have done.
As that famous line states for every action there is an equal and opposite one to encounter.

If you want grunt be it processing or graphical, you will need power, that power then creates heat, you then have to get that out of the cube for stability, and because of the small confines, it is a huge task.

Cheers

Rossi.

Fleischs cube project with Zotac Z77 itx wifi

So I made up my mind about the key components:

Zotac Z77 itx wifi 150€
Crucial m4 mSATA 256GB 170€
Crucial Ballistix tactical 16GB 130€
INTEL Core I7-3770T 286€
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 110€
picopsu 192w 100€

I hope I can get the gpu working with mountain lion and cinema display...
I probably won't succeed with this built but i'll try :)

What do you think?
Cheers,
Fleisch

So I made up my mind about the key components:

Zotac Z77 itx wifi 150€
Crucial m4 mSATA 256GB 170€
Crucial Ballistix tactical 16GB 130€
INTEL Core I7-3770T 286€
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 110€
picopsu 192w 100€

I hope I can get the gpu working with mountain lion and cinema display...
I probably won't succeed with this built but i'll try :)

What do you think?
Cheers,
Fleisch

Hi Fleisch,

The Zotac board works really well under Mountain Lion and is a good choice for a full size ITX board.

Can you link to your GPU version for the specifications? I'd like to see the model you went for. This choice will probably need some radical changes to the inside of the Cube to get it all in and it depends largely on how you intend to cool the Cube as well as your choice of things like the power switch.

The touch sensor is VERY tight on this build especially with a picopsu without extension lead, but that can be eased if you use a plate on the back of the Cube (see my latest build to see what I mean) as it will give more room front to back.

Also you say a 192W pico psu - do you mean this: http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT-192W-Adapter-Power-Kit ? This is actually a 160W pico.

This is an ambitious choice for a Cube mod. and I'm very interested to see what configuration you will be trying to get it all in and cooled. In the end though, if you find the GPU is a step too far then all the rest of the components definitely can fit in there and you have a choice of how to do it. I had the same configuration (different CPU) in my last Cube and had them passively cooled via the Cube heatsink. In contrast I am now building the board with a i7 3770K into a water cooled case.....

This is an ambitious choice for a Cube mod. and I'm very interested to see what configuration you will be trying to get it all in and cooled.

+1 on that.

Cheers!

Ersterhernd

Hey, thanks for the feedback!!
The specs for the pico 160xt actually states 200watts peak. So i thought it would be good to use a 192 w ac. Hope it works :)
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1159&pid=1658&lid=1
This is the gpu... Not sure if it can fit... If not i'll just use the hd4000... :)
I'll keep you guys postet as soon as the parts are here an i'll start building! Probably in 2-3 weeks!
Thanks again for posting your opininions!

Good luck with this build! I think the problem will be to cool this "beast" down.

MacTester

I'm itchy to start building.. but since I'm away for the next week, there is no point in ordering parts just yet. So today I did a little acrylic polishing. Turned out quite well, I was lucky to get a pretty nice cube of the bay...

Attachments

• P5303767.JPG
    P5303767.JPG
    960 KB · Views: 389
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back