Contribute
Register

Flatfoot's Power Mac G5-i7 [DONE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Flatfoot's PowerHack G5-i7

I have the Thermaltake but it's the Blackwidow TR2 RX 850W and love it, it's quiet and I haven't had any issues with it. I even have two of them, got one off ebay for a back up. If the Thermaltake ToughPower XT 775W is anything like it I would og with the Toughpower.

does it have to be out of those two psus?
never heard of the super flower one, and aint really a fan of thermaltake.

i like the suggestion of a seasonic

samisnake said:
does it have to be out of those two psus?
never heard of the super flower one, and aint really a fan of thermaltake.

i like the suggestion of a seasonic

These two are the most affordable that meet my criteria stated above.
Had a look at Seasonic and their OEMs first, of course, but they're quite expensive in the wattage range I'm looking for.

Re: Flatfoot's PowerMac G5-i7

Sort of off-topic:

I just received my Intel 320 Series 80GB SSD. It is so good to have a boot SSD again after having to use a 2.5" WD Caviar Blue 250GB for a few weeks.
That was because my OCZ Vertex 2 Extended 120GB crapped out on me 18 days ago and the Caviar was the only substitute I had.

When I RMAed the Vertex 2, I had to send it to the Netherlands (from Germany). The replacement was sent from Taiwan, over the Philippines, China, Kazakhstan and Paris :) and I received it a few days ago.
I put it on the 'bay and bought the Intel instead.

...and let me tell you that an SSD is a huge improvement over a normal 2.5" mechanical drive!

Update:

Just ordered the Mountain Mods Modular I/O panel for €24.26 incl. shipping to Germany.
A similar part is available from kustompcs.co.uk but it's black and is £22.78 plus shipping. :eek:

Now I hope the panel survives the journey over the pond unbent despite the inferior packaging caused by the shipping service I chose... Any other option would have been too (some even ridiculously) expensive.

ATM I'm favouring the idea of moving the motherboard to the top (like the_gael did) rather than to the bottom, but not using a motherboard tray – just using the modular I/O panel and the original G5 standoffs. The only drawback of that approach is that I won't be able to put the PSU in the top rear (my original plan; don't want to spoil the warranty by taking it apart and putting it into the G5 PSU housing). Maybe it will just fit behind the DVD drive, leaving enough room for the mobo and expansion cards in the uppermost slots, otherwise I'll have to mount it at the bottom rear.

The advantage of mounting the mobo like that and not using a mobo tray is that I'll be able to reuse the 2x92mm fan assembly (with new fans), which gives me about the same airflow as a single 120mm fan – at a lower noise level.

...and one more thing: Unless the Corsair H100 (in contrast to its smaller siblings) turns out to outperform the Thermalright Silver Arrow, I'll use the latter to replace my Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B, with which I'm not satisfied when overclocking.
I've discarded the idea of building a water cooling system myself since it's just too expensive and needs too much maintenance.
It's either the Thermalright Silver Arrow or the Corsair H100.

Updated post 1

@dddirtman: Yeah, those G4 cases are nice, too! I once had a G4 Digital Audio and later a G4 Mirrored Drive Doors myself.
Had to go with a G5 though since I already have my working hackintosh on an ATX board. ...and I like those cases even more! :D

Update: Mountain Mods charged me an additional $17.50 since the I/O panel won't fit an envelope, which was the cheapest way of shipping they offered. The panel from kustompcs.co.uk would have been a bit cheaper in total now – but also black, which wouldn't fit the G5 case as nicely as the Mountain Mods one; so I bit the bullet.

Update: Just ordered the following:

• PSU: Super Flower Amazon 800W (80PLUS bronze)
    I know, nobody seems to know Super Flower but they're silent, voltage stable (in contrast to the Corsair GS800, for example) and affordable. A friend of mine, who runs a PC parts, software and services business, favours them, too.
    It's a non-modular one now that I've decided to use the original G5 rear fan mounting and thus have to move the mobo further up so that the PSU won't fit in the top rear. Mounting the PSU at the bottom of the case renders a modular PSU (and the premium I'd have to pay to get a decent one) unnecessary since I can hide the cables below the (cut to fit) PSU cover plate.[/*:m:1x14pbpq]
  • CPU cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow
    Just about the best CPU cooler that's out there ATM. Might be replaced with a Corsair H100 some time in the future.[/*:m:1x14pbpq]
  • Rear fans: 2x Scythe Kama PWM 92mm
    These are for the rear fan-assembly and will be attached to the second PWM-header on my mobo.[/*:m:1x14pbpq]

I will sell my current PSU and CPU-cooler once I have moved my hack to the G5-case to get some of the money I spent today back in.

EDIT: For German buyers
When I ordered the CPU cooler and rear fans from http://www.pc-cooling.de I forgot to order the extra PWM Y-cable for the rear fans. (BTW: http://www.pc-cooling.de include a 30cm PWM Y-cable with every Thermalright Silver Arrow in addition to the accessories included in the retail box.)
So I sent them an eMail asking them to add the cable and send me an updated PayPal invoice, just to receive the answer that my order had already been finished. That meant they couldn't send me an updated invoice – but put the cable in anyway, at no charge. I mean, it's just €1.99 but anyway...
Plus, the parcel was already handed to DHL today and is on its way. Not every online store does that despite receiving an order in the morning with immediate PayPal payment.

Note: I'm not affiliated in any way with those guys. Just wanted to share my positive experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back