Contribute
Register

Flashing BIOS on GA-P55M-UD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benski said:
You can look on the motherboard, lower left corner it should say 1.0 or 1.1. Look on page 3-5 of your owners manual, it tells you exactly where to look. I'm going to flash down to F5 and see if that helps me.

Tony and others with a ud2 board - do you get kernel panics periodically or are you 100% stable?

I am on a UD2 v1.0 F5. I have been completely stable. No kernel panics at all in 2 weeks of use since building it.

sakasune said:
My hardware is what tony mentioned in one of his guides - Core i5 CPU, UD2 board, GSkill RAM, and the Sparkle nVidia GeForce 9400 GT card. I accidentally bought an IDE optical drive (darn last minute special).

What is the model and timing of your RAM?

gregord said:
Benski said:
You can look on the motherboard, lower left corner it should say 1.0 or 1.1. Look on page 3-5 of your owners manual, it tells you exactly where to look. I'm going to flash down to F5 and see if that helps me.

Tony and others with a ud2 board - do you get kernel panics periodically or are you 100% stable?

I am on a UD2 v1.0 F5. I have been completely stable. No kernel panics at all in 2 weeks of use since building it.

Same here- nothing but stable- since I pulled USB keyboard/mouse out of the top 2 ports. That was causing KP on wake.

sakasune said:
gregord said:
sakasune said:
My hardware is what tony mentioned in one of his guides - Core i5 CPU, UD2 board, GSkill RAM, and the Sparkle nVidia GeForce 9400 GT card. I accidentally bought an IDE optical drive (darn last minute special).

What is the model and timing of your RAM?

Model: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
Timing: 9-9-9-24

NewEgg link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193

I have the same RAM, board, cpu, the only difference is I have 9600gt. Not sure what would be causing your KPs. Have you read the output when the kernel does panic? Sometimes it can be helpful.

Another thought would be disable your speedstep changes. I have not implemented speedstepping on my build. I prefer aggressive sleep schedule (5 minutes) to save power.

gregord said:
I have the same RAM, board, cpu, the only difference is I have 9600gt. Not sure what would be causing your KPs. Have you read the output when the kernel does panic? Sometimes it can be helpful.

Another thought would be disable your speedstep changes. I have not implemented speedstepping on my build. I prefer aggressive sleep schedule (5 minutes) to save power.

That's the weird thing....there is no log. There is no "Mac OS X unexpectedly crashed" dialog that comes up when I reboot (or does this not exist in 10.6? I've only used up to 10.5 on a real Mac). I've checked all the logs in Console for events around the crash and there doesn't to be anything relevant. An Apple KB article (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2546) says there should be a log file in /Library/Logs/PanicReporter but the PanicReporter folder doesn't exist in the root Library (I checked the user's local Library and nothing there either).

Yeah I might not need the SpeedStep advantage because I have mine sleep in 15 minutes (monitor off in 3). I had some problems with just the sleep-enabled DSDT, but the only one I can be sure of was when I woke it up with the mouse or keyboard, it caused an instant KP. However, it was because I had the keyboard and mouse plugged into a USB 1.1 hub plugged in the front (I was in transition). If I plugged either one in directly (still in the front ports), that device could wake it up and not crash. I can't remember if I had any other issues, but I'm going to switch back to that DSDT tonight and see what happens

Sakanade said:
gregord said:
Benski said:

Did you buy it off Newegg?

Im building mine soon, already getting worried about this 1.1 revision :?

Edit: Will I have problems if I receive 1.1?

I did buy off of newegg, and it's version 1.0. I think my problem is that a friend helped me (not a problem really, it's all a learning experience for me) and he did a few extra steps that perhaps were not needed. I'm doing a new install of os x and following to a T.

Pleased to announce that after a flash of the bios back down to F5, and following the directions to the T, I have everything working. Sleep and shut down after wake works. I did have one kernel panic. I woke and went into the system preferences to adjust the mouse settings. It's worked fine since(the last 30 min). I'll test it over the next few weeks and report.

Benski said:
Pleased to announce that after a flash of the bios back down to F5, and following the directions to the T, I have everything working. Sleep and shut down after wake works. I did have one kernel panic. I woke and went into the system preferences to adjust the mouse settings. It's worked fine since(the last 30 min). I'll test it over the next few weeks and report.

Great news- glad it's working for ya! Team UD2 FTW.

I am have just finished building a rev 1.0(f5 bios) and 1.1(f6 bios) ud2 hackintosh. I ordered them 3 weeks apart. Anyways, both have had same great performance and quirks. Both system were installed using tmx86's boot cd guide. I was unable to get sleep to work consistently after following your cd guide and adding the dsdt.ami and removing the 2 kexts. They both would kp right after sleep or a couple minutes latter. The rev 1.0 has not kp with sleepenabler.kext. 1.1 has kp once during the end of a software install with the sleepenabler.kext, AookeACOUOS2Nub.kext, and VoodooPS2Controll.kext installed. I am using a ps2 keyboard on the 1.1 computer. I am about to do some testing to see why my 2 computers keep kp. I'll post back soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back