Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Tony!

Firts of all thank-you for you fantastic guide and wish that the forum "Live long and Prosper" :D

So here is my question:
I installed Snow Leopard with your guide:
(Install OS X Snow Leopard Directly from Retail DVD Using Chameleon Boot CD for P55 Motherboards)

But I did not flash my bios (was a little bit scared :?)

So I am still running under version F4.

Should I update to F5? Will there be some perks?

ER800
CORE i5 - 10.6.2 - VANILLA - SNOW LEOPARD RETAIL - GA-P55M-UD2 - GEFORCE 9400 GT

I was in the same boat as you a while ago and I thought I wouldn't bother flashing but then I started having USB problems. You might want to flash but then again whatever works.

I have a GA-P55M-UD2 rev 1 running F6 bios firmware. I get occasional kernal panics. Does everyone else w/ a GA-P55-UD2 get occasional kernel panics, or should I change my bios firmware? I think rev. 1 boards support F6, but maybe it's only 1.1 that supports F6... any suggestions?

F6 is only for the rev 1.1 boards. Unless you have 1.1, I would recommend switching to F5. It has been working great for me.

Is there a way to distinguish Rev 1.0 board from Rev 1.1 boards, aside from looking at the markings on the board?

I noticed my UD2 has an ALC887 sound controller instead of an ALC888b. I wonder if that means I have a rev 1.1?

You can look on the motherboard, lower left corner it should say 1.0 or 1.1. Look on page 3-5 of your owners manual, it tells you exactly where to look. I'm going to flash down to F5 and see if that helps me.

Tony and others with a ud2 board - do you get kernel panics periodically or are you 100% stable?

I have been getting somewhat random kernel panics too. I flashed the BIOS about a month ago, I think to F5. Not sure if I have a 1.0 or 1.1 board, I can check when I get home.

Most of my KPs seem related to USB - at first it seemed related to mouse clicks (open a DMG from a stack, clicking a button in an app, etc). Lately it's either when I plug in or eject a USB drive (flash or enclosure) and when I hit the tab key on a form in Firefox - I think it's only when tabbing from username to password, I can't remember it happening on any other form (it also KP'd once when I clicked in the password field instead of tabbing).

Performing the same action immediately after a reboot doesn't cause a KP, it almost seems to be after the machine has been on a few hours (counting time while sleeping too). I'm using tony's DSDT with the SpeedStep enabled - I have been thinking of trying a different one. Tony said he heard of the USB ports near the PS/2 ports causing people issues, but I've tried almost all of them with no difference.

My hardware is what tony mentioned in one of his guides - Core i5 CPU, UD2 board, GSkill RAM, and the Sparkle nVidia GeForce 9400 GT card. I accidentally bought an IDE optical drive (darn last minute special).

Gigabyte's Windows based BIOS flash utility will tell you which board version you have, but you have to select update BIOS from Gigabyte server first and then select a server and press ok before it'll show up (stupid, yes I know).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back