Contribute
Register

flashguitar's Rocket Lake ATX: ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS - 11th-gen i5-11600K - Radeon RX 580w

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370P D3
CPU
i5 8600
Graphics
GTX 1050
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
flashguitar's Rocket Lake ATX: ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS - 11th-gen i5-11600K - Radeon RX 580

IMG_0775.jpg

Components

Corsair Carbide SPEC RGB ATX

Corsair CX650M

ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (Wi-Fi)

Intel Core i5-11600K processeur 3,9 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO V2

Samsung 980 MZ-V8V1T0BW

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (2 x 16 GB)

Already owned

Sapphire 112650520G Radeon RX 580 8 Go 1366 MHz

Comments
  • This took me about 20 hours to complete, mainly because of my mistakes
  • I had many problems during the build, some were of my fault, some weren't. Still, the community's help and resources proved invaluable, thanks again guys! It's my pleasure to contribute today

Summary

The idea of this build started when I realised that:
  1. my current build (config attached to my profile) was starting to show slight signs of slowness (I have Docker, IntelliJ IDEA, databases, and various backends running locally all day long)
  2. the Intel Core i5 11600K CPU has a great price/performance ratio (link)
Hence have I decided to treat myself to a Christmas present.

BIOS configuration: the standard one that you find everywhere
Boot loader: OpenCore 0.7.6 RELEASE
SMBIOS: iMacPro1,1

I had several problems during build, install and post install:

Problem #0
I initially bought a Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X motherboard, but after installing the CPU and starting the computer, the "CPU error" LED was on.
I gambled on it being a motherboard problem, so I ordered the second one (ASUS TUF GAMING Z-490 PLUS). It probably is a hardware issue on the Gigabyte motherboard. RMA is ongoing.

Problem #1
This one got me pulling my hair. I tried a dozen times to download the Big Sur and Monterey installers from my office's Big Sur build, but I always ended up getting the "small" installer (something like 47 MB), no matter the channel (public/developer) or version (11.6, 11.6.2, 12) that I used. I tried GibMacOS, macos-installer and the AppStore, but none worked (the AppStore downloaded a corrupt Monterey installer, I didn't retry).

What did it was downloading them from my home's Catalina build. It worked from the first try for both versions (Big Sur and Monterey).

If anyone has an explanation, I'd be glad to read it.

Problem #2
Building SSDTs. I tried a new approach this time: a bootable Ubuntu USB stick that I used to run a live instance and execute SSDTime. Works like a charm. Remember to deactivate the "USB reset" SSDT.

Problem #3
The CPU being 11th-gen, it is not supported by Mac OS X. The boot process stopped right after OpenCore ended its initialization process (OC logs attached). I had to spoof its ID to get it to work (config.plist attached).

Problem #4
The audio wasn't working. I tried every supported layout (about 10 consecutive reboots) to no avail. Then I realized that the AppleALC Kext was a bit old. After updating it to the latest version and choosing layout 7, everything works (the digital output is recognized by Monterey).

Problem #5
I bought a MaxSUN RX 550 4GB DDR5, thinking (dumbly) that any Radeon was compatible with Mac OS X. Little did I know, Lexa GPUs are not. This card has a Polaris architecture and a Lexa GPU. I managed to make it work by overriding its device-id, but performance is not there (the computer is very laggy even with the spoof). I'm hunting for Radeon GPUs now.

I fixed this issue by moving the card of my previous build (Sapphire 112650520G Radeon RX 580 8 Go 1366 MHz) to the new build. No need for overriding anything, it worked out of the box.

Problem #6
The bluetooth Kext caused great delays in the booting process. I fixed it using Dortania's Monterey guidelines for installing the bluetooth Kext.

Problem #7
Docker was not working ("Hypervisor framework fail"). What fixed it was enabling VT-d and "Intel Virtualization Technology" in the BIOS.

Problem #8
High CPU temp. Resting temperature is 40°C. Highest I've witnessed is 90°C. Appears to be normal for Rocket Lake, as per the CPU's specification page (Tjunction temp of 100°C). Any differing opinions?

What Works
  • 1 GB LAN
  • Intel Wifi (AX201)
  • Sleep / Restart / Shutdown

What Does Not Work
  • Bluetooth
    • You can enable it from the status bar, but the control pane in System Settings always says that it's off
    • After awaking from sleep, the control pane does not open anymore ("Preferences Error - Could not load Bluetooth preference pane")

Benchmarks
(The attached ZIP file contains the complete benchmark)

CPU

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 10.39.52.png

OpenCL

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 10.41.20.png

Metal
Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 10.42.10.png

What can I do better?

Attachments

• opencore-2021-12-23-115748.txt
    256 KB · Views: 106
  • Geekbench.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
  • config.plist
    30 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
flashguitar's Rocket Lake ATX: ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS - 11th-gen i5-11600K - Radeon RX 580

View attachment 538012

Congratulations on your build. :thumbup:

A couple of thoughts ...

Intel Bluetooth will probably not work with Monterey. The OpenIntelWireless drivers have not been updated as yet (or weren't last time I looked). Only way around this is with a supported USB dongle for now.

BT should work with earlier macOS versions if you just install the BlueToolFixup.kext from the Acidanthera BRCM zip archive.

The Gigabyte motherboard problem might be that the original supplied F4 BIOS does not support the 11600K, only since the F20 is there support.

Your CPU does seem to be running a little hot. My own 10600K is much cooler and as yours is next generation you might expect it to be more efficient. Maybe check the FAN curve in BIOS or even the cooler/thermal paste.

:)

View attachment 538012
Did you map your USB ports? Bluetooth from my understanding has to be mapped and set to 255 in the usbmap.kext that you create.

View attachment 538012
Hi @flashguitar

Nice build and also guide/information supplied aong with the config file, hoping to get my i5-11600K working in time? FakeCPUID etc? On the temp side my other work Systems running the i5-11600K with win 11 idle at 26C to 32C & under work load 58C to 64C is the highest i have seen, so yours temps seem a bit high, did you manage to sort that out?

Last edited:
@flashguitar Hi, nice build :thumbup:
P0 Sorry to hear about your RMA, hope it moves fast. Who are you RMA ing it through?.
P1 Sorry I don't have an explanation
P2 Like your style!
P3 Nice Spoof!
P4 Good job :thumbup:
P5 Curse you MaxSUN, Sapphires Rock!.
P6 Be the BlueToolFixup.kext
P7 :thumbup:
P8 That does seem a little high!, my i5-9600K has hit 98 C before I pulled the plug.

They're together!, thanks!.

Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 8.15.22 AM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back