Contribute
Register

Fixing boot0 Error Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So are we saying that drive size is icritical to gavoiding the boot0 error? If so, I can rewipe the 2tb drive clean and re-partition it to any size that will work.

What's the max size I should make a partition for SL and later OSX operating systems? I'll get started rightaway once I get the information.

Currently the partition I have SL running on is 1tb in size.

Thanks,

IN the boot0 error guide, i'm thinking about re-doing the install using solution 1.My questions are as follows:

1) Can unibeast be used with SL?
There was never a UniBeast made to work with Snow Leopard. Snow leopard was never available for download - an optical drive was required for installation and used iBoot with an official Apple disk of Snow Leopard, just as you have done.

2) WHat size usb drive is needed fir unibeast?
It might be possible to create an installer using Clover (an old version), but that is likely to drive you nuts getting it to work with your hardware and Snow Leopard.

3) I'm confused about step #4 in solution 1 where is says 'reboot system back into OSX installer' Does that mean to reboot the computer with the SL installer dvd in the pc?
This will only work for Lion and newer versions of macOS, unless you learn how to use clover and build a working USB installer from scratch. It might be possible to create an installer using Clover (an old version), but that is likely to drive you nuts getting it to work with your hardware and Snow Leopard.

What's the max size I should make a partition for SL and later OSX operating systems? I'll get started rightaway once I get the information.
The partition size doesn't caue Boot0 problems. It's the individual sectors. If the drive has 4K sectors it won't matter if you simply make a smaller partition. It still has 4K sectors. The point I was making was that an older 80GB drive is most likely to have 512-byte sectors and not the 4K ones that cause the problem.

So are we saying that drive size is icritical to gavoiding the boot0 error? If so, I can rewipe the 2tb drive clean and re-partition it to any size that will work.
No the block size on drives has changed - all new HDD from 2014/2015 have new 4K block sizes.

Currently the partition I have SL running on is 1tb in size.
Why did I think you had a 500GB drive? I think that Snow leopard will work with a partition of up to 4TB, but you need to overcome the 4K block size issue that presents its self with legacy installations.

One option would be a small boot drive and a second drive if necessary.

I redid the install and created 3 partitions of 660 gb each. I re-installed Iboot, Multibeast, and SL but still got the boot0
error.

I'm going to try creating 500gb partitions, then 320gb partitions and hopefully I can get past this boot0 error but first have to figure out why the maching is crashing after I restart with iboot, the SL installer dvd, press f5, and then press enter.

As a last resort, i'll order one of the above mentioned drives if all else fails. The drive I'm currently using is a Seagate Surveillance 2tb sata drive, model #ST2000VX003.

I'm looking for as much hd space as I can get for installing/updating to the most recent os my configuration can handle.

Never a dull moment.

Thanks,

So as to stop beating my head up, I'm going to order the 5000gb drive from newegg when I get a chance and some funds to do so.

I'll report back when I've got the drive and where I'm at. Thanks for all the help so far, with my luck I'm going to need all the help I can get on this.

Thanks,

I'm going to try creating 500gb partitions, then 320gb partitions and hopefully I can get past this boot0 error but first have to figure out why the maching is crashing after I restart with iboot, the SL installer dvd, press f5, and then press enter.
See post #23 if you didn't read it yet or don't understand what it says.

Hi,

Ok I got the wd500 gig drive and i am running osx 10.6.8 now. For my next trick I'm trying to setup a usb wireless network adapter(Hawking Technology HD45U USB Adapter) as now I want to download the next os(El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra).

As all of my other computers are Windows 10 and wireless, is there any way to download these os updates on windows 10 then transfer them to the osx machine?

Per the adapter instructions, I installed the software for the adapter, re-booted the computer, and plugged the adapter into a usb port. No dice as the computer is not recognizing the adapter after being plugged into all 8 usb ports.

Any ideas anyone? Also special thanks to all who helped me get this far in my install journey.

To download from the Mac App Store (MAS), you need working wireless or ethernet on your 10.6.8 build You will then be able to download from the MAS. Windows cannot access the MAS.

Can you use an Ethernet cable for now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back