Contribute
Register

[Fixed] Reversed display colors on HP ProDesk 600 G3 with HD 630 iGPU in Ventura

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot find anyone who got HD 630 based system sleep/wake up.
Yes, I like to have sleep functional too. It can be disabled but then it feels like an unfinished hack.

When you're looking at spending 350-400 dollars for a refurb it's pretty close in price to what you could build from parts with a Gigabyte or Asus motherboard. CPUs always get cheaper on the used market. Motherboards always seem to go up in price. You can find some good deals though. If you prefer a pre-built you can go that route too.

Going with an i5-8500 six core over the i7 can save you some money. UHD630 should be supported until the last iMac from 2020 loses support in 2 or 3 years.

I was just looking at that one. But then I also went back to your original suggestion

Amazon.com: HP ProDesk 600 G4 Mini, Intel Core i5-8500T 6-Core up to 3.5GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, USB-C, Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Supports 4K), Display Port, VGA, WiFi & BT, Windows 10 Pro (Renewed) : Electronics

The appeal is the form factor and that I can reuse some parts that I purchased for the G3 build. I see that it has a slower processor. Would that make a difference in normal use?

Also, looking at the HP hardware manual it seems that some of these units came with dGPU. The attached picture show a VGA connecter behind which the dGPU can be mounted. I wonder this one is like it and what dGPUs they used.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 17.19.36.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 17.19.36.png
    210.8 KB · Views: 9
I see that it has a slower processor. Would that make a difference in normal use?
The T version is just an underclocked i5-8500 that doesn't run as hot or use as much power.
Should be just fine.
Also, looking at the HP hardware manual it seems that some of these units came with dGPU. The attached picture show a VGA connecter behind which the dGPU can be mounted. I wonder this one is like it and what dGPUs they used.
I think that the minis are too small and have no PCIe slot so no way for using a dGPU.

It looks like some sort of proprietary dGPU.
May be. The problem is that it only connects to the VGA port which is of no use in macOS.
You could ask people who own these in the G4/5 HP mini thread to see what it's about.

I could only find something about dGPU and the Z models from HP. Looks like it's a mini MXM card.
Probably a laptop gfx card. That means you wouldn't be able to find one compatible with Ventura anyway.

Last edited:
Makes sense. I will go with i5-8500 SFF system. That way I can upgrade to Win11 (without hacking the registry) and have a system that will be supported in the next couple of years. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back