Contribute
Register

Fixed my 550 ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you getting it every time you try to start ML, or after using it for a while, because I'm getting it before I even get to the desktop.

Also, I noticed that every now and then (if I keep forcefully restarting) I can get through to the desktop, which, makes no sense. :(

I get it intermittently, just randomly. I can always get through to the desktop and I can even use the OS for quite sometime, its only after a while of not using it and leaving it on, when I come back to it the display is all garbled (artefacts) and the system just appears to be hung.

I can move the mouse but that's about it.

Maybe it's the screensaver or sleep that's causing it then, if it only appears when you've left it alone for some time?

I just ran some tests, and these don't make ANY sense, but anyway:

Using my 128GB SSD, I get the hang/timeout error every single time, so I can't even see the desktop.

Using my 120GB old-as-hell HDD, I only get the hang/timeout error every once in a while, like every 1/3 boot.

The only way that would make sense, would be if the old HDD is too slow to "pick up" the error, with the SSD being so fast that it'll hang by loading stuff "too fast".
I know, it doesn't make sense and I have no idea how other people have gotten their Ti's to work.

Right now, when you only get the hang when you leave your computer for a while, you're using using any kind of smbios?

We seriously need some expert help with this one, I feel like going back to Lion already. :/

Maybe it's the screensaver or sleep that's causing it then, if it only appears when you've left it alone for some time?

I just ran some tests, and these don't make ANY sense, but anyway:

Using my 128GB SSD, I get the hang/timeout error every single time, so I can't even see the desktop.

Using my 120GB old-as-hell HDD, I only get the hang/timeout error every once in a while, like every 1/3 boot.

The only way that would make sense, would be if the old HDD is too slow to "pick up" the error, with the SSD being so fast that it'll hang by loading stuff "too fast".
I know, it doesn't make sense and I have no idea how other people have gotten their Ti's to work.

Right now, when you only get the hang when you leave your computer for a while, you're using using any kind of smbios?

We seriously need some expert help with this one, I feel like going back to Lion already. :/

I too have thought about going back to Lion but it is still early days. It has only "officially" been out for 24 hours or so.

I don't have a screensaver running so that can't be it, and Sleep doesn't work on my computer - never has in OS X. So that cancels sleep out. I do have my monitors set to sleep after 15 minutes but I seriously doubt that could be causing it... or maybe it could be? Either way it shouldn't and thats the point.

Your points about your SSD/HDD trials are interesting, but I would say that the overall fact that it occurs with any HDD installed might rule out it being a hard disk error altogether, although that doesn't explain the arbitrary way in which it occurs less frequently with the non-SSD drive.

I am using an ancient 2.5" 320GB WD sata drive. I don't think its that to be honest...

The hanging and artefacts occur with or without (any) smbios.

We definitely need some more help; perhaps a dedicated thread, one without a misleading "fixed" in the title?

Thing is, I cloned both of the drives, so the setup/kexts were identical, which is even more weird.

Yeah, a decidated thread might be the best case here, since it's most probably a driver issue. I'm a bit preoccupied today/tonight, though. Fingers crossed!

Thing is, I cloned both of the drives, so the setup/kexts were identical, which is even more weird.

Yeah, a decidated thread might be the best case here, since it's most probably a driver issue. I'm a bit preoccupied today/tonight, though. Fingers crossed!

I'll wait on this thread a bit more and see if others experience the same sort of thing. Otherwise I'll make a new thread.

I definitely think its a driver issue.

Nvidia release new CUDA driver Tuesday, CUDA 5.0.17.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda-mac-driver.html

It fixed issues related to system "freezing" and fullscreen.

I'm also getting the same errors you guys are.

I'm doing another reinstall and am going to boot with simply GraphicsEnabler=Yes and see how things go.
I hope we can get it figured out :D

Other people are saying their 550 Ti worked completely OOB..I wonder how

Nvidia release new CUDA driver Tuesday, CUDA 5.0.17.
NVIDIA DRIVERS 5.0.17

It fixed issues related to system "freezing" and fullscreen.

I installed this anyway but it did not seem to make any difference. I tested it by playing a video in Quicktime in full screen and I still got tearing when going/going out of full screen.

I'm also getting the same errors you guys are.

I'm doing another reinstall and am going to boot with simply GraphicsEnabler=Yes and see how things go.
I hope we can get it figured out :D

Other people are saying their 550 Ti worked completely OOB..I wonder how

Mine did work OOB with GraphicsEnabler=Yes but like i said I get tearing/hangs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back