Contribute
Register

[FIX] "Window Server Service only ran for 0 seconds" with dual-GPU

That's what I did.
I took the second card out, installed & updated, then put the second card back in.
Worked for me.

Thanks for letting me know mate. Do you actually have to completely remove it or would it work by simply disconnecting the cable? I am gonna try that anyway. I will post the result.

Hmm, since the method we applied to disable the Nvidia card was a bit different, I thought Spoofing might be different too. Anyways, here's my patch to SSDT-11 for OFF.
Code:
        Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)  // _INI: Initialize
        {
            Store (Zero, \_SB.PCI0.RP05.PEGP._ADR)
            //added to turn nvidia/radeon off
            External(\_SB.PCI0.RP05.PEGP._OFF, MethodObj)
            _OFF()
        }
And Spoof file will be
Code:
// save as SSDT-DiscreteSpoof.aml
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "hack", "spoof", 0)
{
    Method(_SB.PCI0.RP05.PEGP._DSM, 4)
    {
        If (!Arg2) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }
        Return (Package()
        {
            "name", Buffer() { "#display" },
            "IOName", "#display",
            "class-code", Buffer() { 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF },
        })
    }
}

Is it correct now?

Yes.

That's what I did.
I took the second card out, installed & updated, then put the second card back in.
Worked for me.
Thanks a lot, man I got it installed by disconnecting the card. Pretty simple. I am no having another issue but I can't post it here.

Thanks again!

In order to inject the needed properties using an add-on SSDT, you must first determine the ACPI path of the device. If you have an ioreg (from a working Sierra install, for example), you can determine the path from that ioreg (if someone has such an ioreg, please attach it, for an example in this post).

Here is mine to help with the post, extracted from a Sony Vaio SVS1511. Second card is a Geforce640M LE.
I´ll try (carefully) to disable it, since I can´t get the High Sierra installer to show graphics. If it doesn't work I´ll report.

--PP

Attachments

• ioreg-svs1511.txt
    65.5 KB · Views: 165
  • ioreg-svs1511.txt
    61.8 KB · Views: 176

Attachments

• ioreg from Pedro’s iMac.zip
    469.2 KB · Views: 74
Sorry! I basically did everything the guide asks *not* to.

Here is the zipped output from the IoReg app, version 2.1.

-- PP

Your Nvidia device is at _SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.

Your Nvidia device is at _SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.
Thank you RehabMan. Just to make it clear, I wanted to send my Korea because the opening post asked for someone to send an example, if still wanted. But I am going to edit my *SDTs as well.

Back