MSI Z370 PC PRO
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I believe this is my first post here but I have been lurking forever to get my Dell Inspiron 15 3543 up and running and it has been for a while now. I just updated my BIOS again and ran into the "Error: Offset is out of range" issue. I knew exactly how to fix the issue and I decided to share just in case it hasn't been posted before.

DISCLAIMER: I take zero responsibility for any problems or damage that may occur while doing this. This must be done in Windows. I did this running Windows 8.1.

STEP 1: Download the BIOS file for your machine from the Dell Support website. Mine is 3443A07.exe

STEP 2: Download the attached AMI Firmware Update Utility (AFUWIN) zip file.

STEP 3: Open a Command Prompt in Windows and extract the ROM file by running the following command using the appropriate path to the exe. Ex. (C:\Users\Clarence\Desktop\BIOS\3334A07.exe /writeromfile)

The ROM file will be extracted to the same directory.

Extracting ROM File.png

STEP 4. Run the AFUWINGUI from the downloaded zip file. Click OPEN and select your extracted BIOS ROM file.

AFUWINGUI.png

STEP 5. Navigate to the Setup tab and set the Block Options to Program All Blocks. It should look like the picture.

DO NOT select any other options.

Click on the FLASH button. Let it do its thing and it will prompt when it is completed. Once it is completed it is safe to reboot your system and you will be able to change the DVMT settings and no more "Error: Offset is out of range" issue.

Flashing the BIOS.png

NOTES: Doing so put my laptop into "Manufacturing Level". The screen said to press FN+X to enter normal mode so I did. Manufacturing mode was a bunch of beeping when I typed and the fan ran loud. I have no clue what it is but hitting FN+X did the job. Also, I had to change the Boot Mode Settings from Legacy to UEFI. A prompt instructed me to enter the security tab in the BIOS and select the Model Name and enter the Service Tag.

While I did this just a few hours ago. I originally did these steps about 6 months ago with no issues since.

If this post helps one person enjoy OS X as much as I have been then typing all of this is well worth the time.

Attachments

• afuwin64.zip
    430.3 KB · Views: 1,131
  • Flashing BIOS.png
    Flashing BIOS.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,639
Hi guys,
Thanks for your tips, I have a msi ge62-647, mb is 16J2 (HM87), and I also have the same bios with you, when I tried to set DVMT using EFI Shells, I got "Offset is out of range", so I thought my bios is also encripted.
But what is strange is that my biso have a hidden advanced settings (which can be switched on by press alt+f2+ctrl+shift), I could change DVMT in my bios advanced settings, neverthless there are no changes of DVMT in win10 even though I set DVMT to 64M, 96M or 128M, or even more, and I could not driver my graphic cards (HD5600) as I though my problem is always the DVMT value.
Do you think your method is also applicable for my case?
Thanks!

Hi guys,
Thanks for your tips, I have a msi ge62-647, mb is 16J2 (HM87), and I also have the same bios with you, when I tried to set DVMT using EFI Shells, I got "Offset is out of range", so I thought my bios is also encripted.
But what is strange is that my biso have a hidden advanced settings (which can be switched on by press alt+f2+ctrl+shift), I could change DVMT in my bios advanced settings, neverthless there are no changes of DVMT in win10 even though I set DVMT to 64M, 96M or 128M, or even more, and I could not driver my graphic cards (HD5600) as I though my problem is always the DVMT value.
Do you think your method is also applicable for my case?
Thanks!

Read the FAQ:

RehabMan;1045259 said:
IMPORTANT!: Contrary to many of the guides you will read, Windows is NOT a valid way to determine what DVMT-prealloc is set to. There is no correlation, especially with Windows 10.

Would you mind to tell me that how to check the DVMT value in Ubuntu15.04?

You might use google. I've never used Ubuntu for that purpose.

So were your findings that with Dell machines, the DVMT prealloc cannot be adjusted unless you do something to unlock it? Where did you get your information for unlocking it? I'm working with Insyde BIOS on my Inspiron and am also getting the same error. I've been searching around for an Insyde version of AFUWIN but would like to have some information on what I would need to adjust as well.

Apparently RehabMan's custom config.plist has a patch for the stolen memory. I'm going to try that tomorrow

Thanks RehabMan

hmm...
Dell 5458? But my bios is A09
Screenshot (10).png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back