Contribute
Register

Fix/solution for "Selected Mac OS X Installer is incomplete"

Any solution for EL Capitan yet??

Here I am at 2020 and still can´t get rid of "Selected Mac OS X Installer incomplete".

Gotta question though,
I have YOSEMITE on my Macbook Pro, I've made a YOSEMITE Hackintosh and worked perfect to prepare Unibeast USB and all...
So if I Upgrade my Macbook to "EL Capitan" logically should work to prepare an Unibeast USB with "El Capitan"...right??

Any comments i'll be thankful.
Cheers!

I searched the site and the answer was on the forums and in this thread thanks to MetalDoom -

trying to be polite here but in future search first like most of us do!

mkdir /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport

and i'm guessing that Yosemite is-

mkdir /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/SharedSupport

but don't quote me.

Hi everyone,
I tried to find an answer on it but I didn't.
I'm on Catilina and I'm trying to create bootable flash of El Capitan or Sierra, the install file is 6.2 Gb for the first and 5 Gb for the latter, I'm trying to run the installer to collect files in /MacOS Install Data but the system tells me "This copy of the “Install macOS” application is too old to be opened on this version of macOS."

I already tried setting an older date from terminal, but it says the same.

Thank you in advance for any help, I hope I'm the first asking this question.

Well, I have the same problem that kicked this thread off: "MacOS Installer is Incomplete." I've tried Yosemite, El Capitan, and Sierra, all with the same result. I do get the full install of 5 to 6 GB, not the 12.9 MB that the original instructions dealt with. Because of that I didn't see the need to run the original set of code that was given. The only thing that I did try was setting the system date back to 2012 and that didn't work. I'm attempting this on my 2015 MacBook Pro currently running Catalina 10.15.5. Any ideas?
Same here.
Unibeast 5 and 6 do not like the files I'm getting from Apple.

Also not sure when it changed but Apple now has direct downloads of 10.10, 10.11, and 10.12 at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683 .
As far as I can find these are no longer in the store.
10.13-10.15 are store links but on Snow Leo I'm unable to download 10.13 as it's not compatible.

Those downloads are all the 5-6GB files and run fine and extract themselves to the Applications folder.

I've downloaded them on PC and direct on the 10.6.8 iBoot hackintosh and keep getting the same issues.
Deleted all the files and re-downloaded several times.

Unibeast (probably v3) used to work when I could get my purchased copy of Sierra from the App Store but the "free" version isn't working . I've done it many times before on this very computer, but have misplaced my Clover USB with Sierra.
Decided to do the Hackintosh again and have hit a brick wall.

EDIT
The new free downloaded versions of the official installers from Apple lack the "receipt" that Unibeast must look for to know it's a valid purchased file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here.
Unibeast 5 and 6 do not like the files I'm getting from Apple.

Also not sure when it changed but Apple now has direct downloads of 10.10, 10.11, and 10.12 at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683 .
As far as I can find these are no longer in the store.
10.13-10.15 are store links but on Snow Leo I'm unable to download 10.13 as it's not compatible.

Those downloads are all the 5-6GB files and run fine and extract themselves to the Applications folder.

I've downloaded them on PC and direct on the 10.6.8 iBoot hackintosh and keep getting the same issues.
Deleted all the files and re-downloaded several times.

Unibeast (probably v3) used to work when I could get my purchased copy of Sierra from the App Store but the "free" version isn't working . I've done it many times before on this very computer, but have misplaced my Clover USB with Sierra.
Decided to do the Hackintosh again and have hit a brick wall.

Hi there,

You've posted in the High Sierra Desktop forum. Are you running a desktop with HS? Or a laptop with another version of macOS?

UniBeast will work with original Yosemite to High Sierra installer files, but these have been subsequently updated by Apple - hence their support page you link to - to renew their certificates which had timed-out causing the older versions to refuse to install - as per the OP of this thread.

If UniBeast has difficulty with these *.pkg files then try using the "createinstallmedia" Terminal command instead to create your boot stick. For High Sierra the beta guide is here:

Hi there,

You've posted in the High Sierra Desktop forum. Are you running a desktop with HS? Or a laptop with another version of macOS?

UniBeast will work with original Yosemite to High Sierra installer files, but these have been subsequently updated by Apple - hence their support page you link to - to renew their certificates which had timed-out causing the older versions to refuse to install - as per the OP of this thread.

If UniBeast has difficulty with these *.pkg files then try using the "createinstallmedia" Terminal command instead to create your boot stick. For High Sierra the beta guide is here:

I posted in the thread titled

"Fix/solution for "Selected Mac OS X Installer is incomplete"

I understand this is the wrong part of the forum but this is the thread that came up (repeatedly) in my searching for the issue I have.

Unibeast 5 and 6 did NOT work with the current versions of Yosemite (or El Cap) until I applied the fix.

And for clarification, the "fixed" Yosemite only works with Unibeast 6, 5 still gets the same error.

I posted in the thread titled

"Fix/solution for "Selected Mac OS X Installer is incomplete"

I understand this is the wrong part of the forum but this is the thread that came up (repeatedly) in my searching for the issue I have.

Unibeast 5 and 6 did NOT work with the current versions of Yosemite (or El Cap) until I applied the fix.

And for clarification, the "fixed" Yosemite only works with Unibeast 6, 5 still gets the same error.

Okay. You disagree with me, that's fine, but you have edited your post prior to mine to include the information I gave subsequently.

As laptops need different considerations to desktops, and many will not install macOS using UniBeast, that is why there are separate support forums for High Sierra and other macOSs on Laptops.

Thank you toro86. Just did the same for Catalina - I don't want to go to Big Sur just yet.

You can get the download for older versions via the Apple website, I just googled 'download older versions of Mac OS' and followed the link to the Apple website. Clicking the link opens the list of versions that link to the appstore. You get the 19mb app file in applications as mentioned above. Follow the same way as above, do not restart after 30 minutes etc.

I used the following commands for Unibeast to see it.

1) sudo -s

2) mkdir /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport

3) cd /macOS\ Install\ Data

4) find . -mount | cpio -pvdm /Applications/Install\ macOS\ catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport

Credit to Toro86

I've used this guide successfully with High Sierra but now I need to use it to create an El Capitan USB boot disk. When running the 3rd (and final) Terminal command (the one with cpio in it), Terminal doesn't copy anything. It says "0 blocks". How can I fix this?

Back