Contribute
Register

Fix/solution for "Selected Mac OS X Installer is incomplete"

I really hope others come across this post. Thank you @toro86

Note that on older versions like Mavericks or El Capitan the directories are different:

mkdir /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport

mkdir /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport

Last edited:
A real solution for those who get stuck at STEP 1.

Seeing no real solutions offered here on the forums, other then seeing users getting pushed to look at the troubleshooting guide for UniBeast 8 and then coming back empty handed because they are stuck at:

The troubleshooting guide won't supply users with a fix and users getting all over forums pushed back to the guide.

The fine install guide tells you in step 1:

And then you windup with an installer thats 19MB in /Applications.

Then you start UniBeast and it says "Selected Mac OS X Installer is incomplete".

If this is you then you can fix this by doing the following:

You will need to recreate the full installer from the separate parts.

To do so we will use the installer stub app to grab all the files from Apple and then abort the install before it does anything else.

Run the 19MB stub installer (/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra).

Choose the install disk and click ‘install’ (it won’t actually install yet!).

It will download the remaining install files and place them under /macOS Install Data (i.e. look for the folder in the root of your hard drive ‘Macintosh HD’).

When it has finished downloading all it needs, the installer screen will then ask you to restart the Mac – but don’t! At this point ABORT the install by quitting the installer app.

Next we will recreate the full installer from all the downloaded parts. This will restore the ability to create an install media USB.

Do the following:

Open Terminal and run: sudo -s
Enter admin credentials to gain root permissions.
Then copy and paste the following 3 commands:

mkdir /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport

cd /macOS\ Install\ Data

find . -mount | cpio -pvdm /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport

You now have a full installer package in your Applications folder!

Now goto STEP 2: Create a Bootable USB Drive with UniBeast to continue the install guide.

Can we do similar steps for the same issue with Catalina?

I really hope others come across this post. Thank you @toro86

Note that on older versions like Mavericks or El Capitan the directories are different
mkdir /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport
mkdir /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport

Any idea what directories are for Catalina?

@WilliamSG

mkdir /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport

cd /macOS\ Install\ Data

find . -mount | cpio -pvdm /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport

Hi guys,

I'm running Mavericks on an 2012 Macbook Pro and downloaded Catalina to create a Bootable Stick.
What do I have to write in Terminal to copy the data correctly?

@WilliamSG

mkdir /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport

cd /macOS\ Install\ Data

find . -mount | cpio -pvdm /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport
Thanks @metaldoom! Worked perfectly, but after a day of trying to install Catalina, I think my hardware isn't compatible (trying to upgrade from a 2011 Mac Pro build running Mountain Lion).
Anyway, I've got Mavericks to work perfectly. So I'm now going to try getting High Sierra to work from there :)

Is it normal to generate this failure? At the end of the Process!

/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./InstallESDDmg.pkg
/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./InstallInfo.plist
/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./Locked Files
/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./Locked Files/.disk_label
/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./Locked Files/.disk_label.contentDetails
/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./Locked Files/.disk_label_2x
/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./Locked Files/Boot Files
/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./Locked Files/cleanup_installer
cpio: Failed to set file flags
bash-3.2#

so ive done this and It says for the last several lines it says locked files. figured it was nothing and went along started installing on the pc and it says "could not find resources." is there something im doing wrong?

/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./InstallInfo.plist

/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./Locked Files

/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./Locked Files/.disk_label

/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./Locked Files/.disk_label.contentDetails

/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./Locked Files/.disk_label_2x

/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./Locked Files/Boot Files

/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./Locked Files/cleanup_installer

cpio: Failed to set file flags

edit the install file still turned out to be 5.23 gigs
I have the same problem. I execute the commands in the terminal, but continue with 22mb or the installer. Did you manage to solve?

I was able to create the installer but it doesn’t seem to work. Below is screen shot of what I get when I try it. Don’t know if I need to change my.plist or what. Any help will be appreciated.

Installed Operating Systems: Sierra 10.12.6 - Windows 10
CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-2310M Motherboard: Sony VAIO RAM: 8 GB DDR3 Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000
HDD: 120 SSD and 320 GB WiFi: Atheros/Qualcomm AR9285 802.11b/g Wireless Network AdapterLAN: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC Sound: RealTek ALC889
Other: Bluetooth - Wireless Mouse and Keyboard Bootloader: Clover

Attachments

• 20200514_150800.jpg
    20200514_150800.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
Back