Contribute
Register

Fix/solution for "Selected Mac OS X Installer is incomplete"

Copying cd /macOS\ Install\ Data on my Terminal results in

bash: cd: /macOS Install Data: No such file or directory

Why is this happening?

After running "find . -mount | cpio -pvdm /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport" command it uses ALL of my disc space on my HD, then ends with "Write failed: No space left on device"

Any way to fix this??

After running "find . -mount | cpio -pvdm /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport" command it uses ALL of my disc space on my HD, then ends with "Write failed: No space left on device"

Any way to fix this??

Hey, before you run that command make sure you're in the directory "/macOS Install Data" you can go to it by copying and pasting:

cd "/macOS Install Data"
Note: Keep the quotes around the directory name, there's spaces so you won't have to escape them with funky slashes like the OP did.

You can verify this is your current directory by using the command pwd (present working directory). Should look like this:

$ pwd
/macOS Install Data

The reason you're most likely running out of disk space is because you're trying to copy whatever your present directory is. For example your home folder perhaps, maybe even the root which is your entire hard drive contents!

If you get a message saying that the directory /macOS Install Data doesn't exist, then don't proceed with the find . -mount [...] command. You can make sure this directory exists and has contents by carefully following OPs instructions, and abandoning the install process at the end before reboot.

PS.
You can also verify the size of the download by running this command in the "/macOS Install Data" directory.

$ du -h
0B ./Locked Files/Boot Files
20K ./Locked Files
4.9G .

OP I think you should change your instructions to make them a bit simpler and easier to read by eliminating escaped slashes by using quotes, and putting quote block around them like so.

So just like this:
sudo -s
mkdir "/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport"
cd "/macOS Install Data"
find . -mount | cpio -pvdm "/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport"

Last edited:
A real solution for those who get stuck at STEP 1.

Seeing no real solutions offered here on the forums, other then seeing users getting pushed to look at the troubleshooting guide for UniBeast 8 and then coming back empty handed because they are stuck at:

The troubleshooting guide won't supply users with a fix and users getting all over forums pushed back to the guide.

The fine install guide tells you in step 1:

And then you windup with an installer thats 19MB in /Applications.

Then you start UniBeast and it says "Selected Mac OS X Installer is incomplete".

If this is you then you can fix this by doing the following:

You will need to recreate the full installer from the separate parts.

To do so we will use the installer stub app to grab all the files from Apple and then abort the install before it does anything else.

Run the 19MB stub installer (/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra).

Choose the install disk and click ‘install’ (it won’t actually install yet!).

It will download the remaining install files and place them under /macOS Install Data (i.e. look for the folder in the root of your hard drive ‘Macintosh HD’).

When it has finished downloading all it needs, the installer screen will then ask you to restart the Mac – but don’t! At this point ABORT the install by quitting the installer app.

Next we will recreate the full installer from all the downloaded parts. This will restore the ability to create an install media USB.

Do the following:

Open Terminal and run: sudo -s
Enter admin credentials to gain root permissions.
Then copy and paste the following 3 commands:

mkdir /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport

cd /macOS\ Install\ Data

find . -mount | cpio -pvdm /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport

You now have a full installer package in your Applications folder!

Now goto STEP 2: Create a Bootable USB Drive with UniBeast to continue the install guide.

Hey how do I quit the installer.... There is only the option of minimize

Total newb here. After the sudo -s command, when it asks for password, I'm unable to type in said password. It's like my keyboard keys are disabled. Thoughts?

Thanks.
-- B

A real solution for those who get stuck at STEP 1.

Seeing no real solutions offered here on the forums, other then seeing users getting pushed to look at the troubleshooting guide for UniBeast 8 and then coming back empty handed because they are stuck at:

The troubleshooting guide won't supply users with a fix and users getting all over forums pushed back to the guide.

The fine install guide tells you in step 1:

And then you windup with an installer thats 19MB in /Applications.

Then you start UniBeast and it says "Selected Mac OS X Installer is incomplete".

If this is you then you can fix this by doing the following:

You will need to recreate the full installer from the separate parts.

To do so we will use the installer stub app to grab all the files from Apple and then abort the install before it does anything else.

Run the 19MB stub installer (/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra).

Choose the install disk and click ‘install’ (it won’t actually install yet!).

It will download the remaining install files and place them under /macOS Install Data (i.e. look for the folder in the root of your hard drive ‘Macintosh HD’).

When it has finished downloading all it needs, the installer screen will then ask you to restart the Mac – but don’t! At this point ABORT the install by quitting the installer app.

Next we will recreate the full installer from all the downloaded parts. This will restore the ability to create an install media USB.

Do the following:

Then copy and paste the following 3 commands:

mkdir /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport

cd /macOS\ Install\ Data

find . -mount | cpio -pvdm /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport

You now have a full installer package in your Applications folder!

Now goto STEP 2: Create a Bootable USB Drive with UniBeast to continue the install guide.

Toro,

Any idea what I should change in the command lines for Mojave? essentially had the same problem but your fix worked until I got to the command lines.

Thanks in advance!

Back