Contribute
Register

[Fix] Resolve boot screen garble

Hi @RehabMan, I would like to express my sincere thanks for providing this quick-fix for the black booting screen glitch where white apple logo is "shredded" half-way through that boot-screen.

Despite not having same mobo, I'd like to confirm that even on my MSI Z97i-AC board with Core i7-4790K (iMac15,1) using only embedded IGPU (HD 4600 Graphics) it works as "advertised" via Clover, of course. Many thanks!

For learning purposes, could you possibly explain briefly why this "glitch" is happening? Is the boot screen switching from some display mode to another? Or the graphics driver kicks-in? Just to undertsand what this patch does, really :)

I've been reading in all these pages where you keep tirelessly repating to some people about "CSM" (i.e. Compatibility Support Module, per your guide) but I wanted to ask, if you know about a similar "name" for desktop BIOSes, as obviously this isn't the same across all motherboards. I cannot find a similar reference on my MSI EFI BIOS, for example. Is this "CSM" setting under the boot options (e.g. UEFI+Legacy) or under "Windows 8" options? I have only some "MSI Fast Boot" and "Fast Boot"... There is also a "Secure Boot" if enabling "Windows 8" boot... But anyway :)

The patch was done by someone else, so I don't really understand the details...

But it has something to do with graphics initialization. BIOS on PCs seems to not initialize the graphics hardware the way OS X expects, so you get the strange glitch. The patch jumps around some code which seems to trade black screen for the glitch...

And yes, CSM is referred to by different terminology in BIOS user interfaces. Often bundled with legacy boot enablement.

Quite a lot of people here have a display garble/scramble when El Capitan (and Yosemite) boots up.
This happens when the progress bar shows and disappears when the desktop displays.

This patch, courtesy of lisai9093 and ceckpawon (insanelymac), will lessen the severity.

The patch should be entered into config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch.

Comment: Boot graphics glitch, 10.10.x/10.11.x (credit lisai9093, cecekpawon)
Name: IOGraphicsFamily
Find: <01000075 17>
Replace: <010000eb 17>

This patch is already present, but disabled, in the plist files available from my Clover guide.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html.

You can read more about disabled patches and how to enable them in post #2 of the linked guide.

As it looks in XML inside the plist file:
Code:
<key>KextsToPatch</key>
<array>
<dict>
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>Boot graphics glitch, (credit lisai9093, cecekpawon)</string>
    <key>Disabled</key>
    <true/>
    <key>Find</key>
    <data>AQAAdRc=</data>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>IOGraphicsFamily</string>
    <key>Replace</key>
    <data>AQAA6xc=</data>
</dict>
</array>

I provide the XML just as reference. It is not a good idea to edit a plist with a text editor. Always use a plist editor such as Xcode or PlistEdit Pro.

Note: By enabling CSM or legacy boot (continue to boot UEFI), the severity of the glitch can be further reduced.

--

This post is based on the original by the-darkvoid for Yosemite: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/145308-fix-resolve-boot-screen-garble.html

It worked Flawlessly for me! I have no garble/glitch whatsoever

Thanks for the info!:clap:

@RehabMan - First, thank you for all the hard work that you've done for this community.

I have this glitch problem myself. I tried applying your patch, but it doesn't work for me. Also tried enabling CSM - no change.

My parts - ASRock Z170 Pro4, i7 6700K, 2x8GB DDR4 RAM and I'm using the Intel HD 530 iGPU, via HDMI.

I used this guide - http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...ke-fatal1ty-z170-gaming-itx-ac.180383/page-17 to prepare my USB, since op's motherboard is similar to mine.

Could you please take a look at my config.plist file when you have the time?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.5 KB · Views: 308
@RehabMan - First, thank you for all the hard work that you've done for this community.

I have this glitch problem myself. I tried applying your patch, but it doesn't work for me. Also tried enabling CSM - no change.

My parts - ASRock Z170 Pro4, i7 6700K, 2x8GB DDR4 RAM and I'm using the Intel HD 530 iGPU, via HDMI.

I used this guide - http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...ke-fatal1ty-z170-gaming-itx-ac.180383/page-17 to prepare my USB, since op's motherboard is similar to mine.

Could you please take a look at my config.plist file when you have the time?

Thanks in advance!

Your config.plist has the patch.

@RehabMan - Yes, I know. But I still get the glitch. Do you have any idea what might be causing it or some suggestion on how to fix it?

Thank you!

@RehabMan - Yes, I know. But I still get the glitch. Do you have any idea what might be causing it or some suggestion on how to fix it?

Thank you!

Show photo of glitch. Read post #1 regarding BIOS settings.

@RehabMan - I made a video. It's 2 minutes long.. wanted to show you exactly what happens.

I tried CSM Enabled/Disabled, Legacy, etc. Also tried this

Code:
<dict>               
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>10.11-SKL-1912000-4_displays</string>
    <key>Find</key>
    <data>
    AQMDAw==
    </data>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer</string>
    <key>Replace</key>
    <data>
    AQMEAw==
    </data>
</dict>

Still glitches.

Thanks!

@RehabMan - I made a video. It's 2 minutes long.. wanted to show you exactly what happens.

I tried CSM Enabled/Disabled, Legacy, etc. Also tried this

Code:
<dict>             
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>10.11-SKL-1912000-4_displays</string>
    <key>Find</key>
    <data>
    AQMDAw==
    </data>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer</string>
    <key>Replace</key>
    <data>
    AQMEAw==
    </data>
</dict>

Still glitches.

Thanks!

This patch applies only to final install. You're booting the installer itself.

Concerning yourself with cosmetic issues that happen while booting the installer is nonsense.

Well, I was about to ask if I should proceed with installation.. and fix this later? I guess I'm going to do that.

Thank you.

Well, I was about to ask if I should proceed with installation.. and fix this later? I guess I'm going to do that.

Thank you.

Of course. Patches like this one (and many others) are a post-install task.

Back