Contribute
Register

Fix NVIDIA Web Driver in macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fortunately only had to do this

: You can use the 10.12.5 drivers on 10.12.6.
If you already had the webdrivers installed previously. Just open terminal and paste

sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :IOKitPersonalities:NVDAStartup:NVDARequiredOS "$(sw_vers -buildVersion) /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/Info.plist
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

you'll enter your password to make the change, close terminal, restart and you should be good to go.

it just tricks the drivers into loading. Worked on my iMac 14,2 definition.

I just updated to 10.12.6 and noticed that the latest NVIDIA Web Driver (378.0505.15f01) no longer worked. Instead of waiting for NVIDIA to update their Beta drivers, I was able to resolve the issue using the following steps:

1. Open Terminal
  2. Type 'sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/info.plist'
  3. Enter your password (must be an Admin)
  4. Use the down arrow to scroll down until you see <key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
  5. Change the line below <key>NVDARequiredOS</key> from <string>16F73</string> to <string>16G29</string>
  6. Tap Ctrl-O (WriteOut) then tap Enter/Return to save the changes
  7. Tap Ctrl-X to exit
  8. Type:
    1. sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
    2. sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
    3. sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
    4. sudo kextcache -Boot -U /
  9. Reboot and enjoy your NVIDIA Pascal GPU in 10.12.6!
I installed 10.12.6 from scratch (Unibeast) and followed the instruction above to install multicast and the Nvidia web driver. However, the system failed to enable the Nvidia display driver, it used 'OS X Default Graphic Driver.

Here's my HW profile:
CPU: i7 7700K
MB: Gigabyte Z270M-D3H
Display: Asus Expedition GTX 1050 TI (EX-GTX1050TI-O4G)

Anyone know why? Appreciate any help and suggestion. Thanks in advance!

-Kelvin

Last edited:
Anyone know why? Appreciate any help and suggestion.
Probably the lack of support for native NVRAM on your motherboard.

Installation procedure :
BIOS - Disable Integrated graphics - Set PEG as Primary
Use a digital connection - DVI or HDMI - VGA is not supported.
Boot with nv_disable=1
May need to update Clover
Install web drivers
Config.plist - Do not inject Intel or Nvidia graphics and no ig-platform-id
Config.plist - Disable SIP fully - CsrActiveConfig 0x67
Edit config.plist - NvidiaWeb = true as per Link
May need to emulate native NVRAM - Problem 6
Remove nv_disable=1 from config.plist
May need to install Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext to /Library/Extensions

Thank you 'P1LGRIM'.

Updated as of 2017/08/08 6:11PM HKT. The status is that:
  • NVDIA Driver Manger now shows up in the menu bar with 'NVIDIA Web Driver' selected as default upon boot
  • System Report... shows that the current display driver is 'NVIDIA Chip Model 7 MB' instead
    Code:
    Chipset Model:    NVIDIA Chip Model
      Type:    GPU
      Bus:    PCIe
      PCIe Lane Width:    x16
      VRAM (Total):    7 MB
      Vendor:    NVIDIA (0x10de)
      Device ID:    0x1c82
      Revision ID:    0x00a1
      ROM Revision:    preset 1.0.0
    However, before multicast installation, the systems recognise the hardware correctly (Asus Geforce GTX 1050 Ti Expedition 4G (EX-GTX1050TI-O4G))
How can I fix the display card issue? Thanks in advanced!

Probably the lack of support for native NVRAM on your motherboard.

Installation procedure :
BIOS - Disable Integrated graphics - Set PEG as Primary - YES, I did it.
Use a digital connection - DVI or HDMI - VGA is not supported. - YES, I use a HDMI cable
Boot with nv_disable=1 -- YES, I tried it.
May need to update Clover -- Do you mean to install this Clover_v2.4k_r4128.pkg ? Yes, installed this pkg.
Install web drivers -- Already install the latest driver: WebDriver-378.05.05.25f01.pkg
Config.plist - Do not inject Intel or Nvidia graphics and no ig-platform-id -- Where Config.plist is located? is it in /Volumes/EFI?
[updated] Config.plist refers to config.plist in (/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist)
Config.plist - Disable SIP fully - CsrActiveConfig 0x67 -- Where Config.plist is located? [updated] same as above. Modified it in Xcode.
Edit config.plist - NvidiaWeb = true as per Link -- ALREADY done that
config-plist-about-do-not-inject-intel-nvidia-graphics.png
May need to emulate native NVRAM - Problem 6 -- [update] This refers to the same link as what 'May need to update Clover' above (https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/ Clover EFI bootloader v2.4k_r4128)

[updated] already installed Clover_v2.4k_r4128.pkg with customization.
clover-EFI-customization.png

Remove nv_disable=1 from config.plist -- What's the relationship btw this and the step about 'Boot with nv_disable=1?
May need to install Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext to /Library/Extensions -- Where can I get these files? From the download section of tonymacx86? [update] OK, I get both of from the download section.

I suspect I did something wrong during the step of running Mutibeast -- It's a step needed for booting without the Unibeast USB drive. Shall I use all the default values (unchecked) for the devices (audio/graphics/network)? Do I need to select VoodooHDA or Realtek ALCxxx?

Sorry for the long list of questions. I am pretty new to tonymacx86 ;)

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Doing the X99 CustoMac Install. Hit the "Graphics Installation" section, installed AGDPFix, restarted, then installed web drivers. Now I can't boot without nv_disable=1 :/ Halp.

Thank you 'P1LGRIM'.

Updated as of 2017/08/08 6:11PM HKT. The status is that:
  • NVDIA Driver Manger now shows up in the menu bar with 'NVIDIA Web Driver' selected as default upon boot
  • System Report... shows that the current display driver is 'NVIDIA Chip Model 7 MB' instead
    Code:
    Chipset Model:    NVIDIA Chip Model
      Type:    GPU
      Bus:    PCIe
      PCIe Lane Width:    x16
      VRAM (Total):    7 MB
      Vendor:    NVIDIA (0x10de)
      Device ID:    0x1c82
      Revision ID:    0x00a1
      ROM Revision:    preset 1.0.0
    However, before multicast installation, the systems recognise the hardware correctly (Asus Geforce GTX 1050 Ti Expedition 4G (EX-GTX1050TI-O4G))
How can I fix the display card issue? Thanks in advanced!

I suspect I did something wrong during the step of running Mutibeast -- It's a step needed for booting without the Unibeast USB drive. Shall I use all the default values (unchecked) for the devices (audio/graphics/network)? Do I need to select VoodooHDA or Realtek ALCxxx?

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

Finally I am able to load 'NVIDIA Web Driver' as default display driver, and it is actually enabled -- no more slow flashing on the screen when using the OS X Default Graphics Driver!!!

What I did is the following:
* Did all the steps that P1LGRIM suggested in #110 -- https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...os-sierra-10-12-6.227514/page-11#post-1556505
* In the Clover Boot Manger (Clover_v2.4k_r4128) during boot up, press 'space' to bring up the boot option menu,
1) DO NOT checked 'Set Nvidia to VESA (nv_disable=1)'
2) You need to check 'Use Nvidia WEB drivers (nvda_drv=1)', although some posts mentioned that this flag is not working any more. However, I found that it's required to check it in my case in order for the NVIDIA Driver to be enabled.
For example:
Clover_v2.4k-Boot-Options.jpg

Now the remaining issue for me are
1) sound playing is still not working, although there are output devices listed: Digital Out / Headphones / Line Out (2)
2) Video Playing Browser seems to be not working -- it plays a few seconds and then pause/stuck forever.

Maybe I need to play with different options in Multibeast. Does anyone what config file Multibeast update? Is backup of /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist sufficient? I notice that Multibeast installation can mess up the system pretty easily.

Thanks again for P1LGRIM's suggestion on how to get this NVIDia Driver to work. The screen looks much much better than the default OS X Graphic Driver. I am pretty happy with the machine now -- at least it's good enough for work/development, not ready for entertainment yet...

Last edited:
Many thanks to everyone helping here. Pilgrim's 'problem 6' advice has got me up and running with the web driver for my new 1050ti. However only my HDMI connection is working. The DVI connected to my 2nd monitor is not working. Thoughts??

Finally I am able to load 'NVIDIA Web Driver' as default display driver, and it is actually enabled -- no more slow flashing on the screen when using the OS X Default Graphics Driver!!!

What I did is the following:
* Did all the steps that P1LGRIM suggested in #110 -- https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...os-sierra-10-12-6.227514/page-11#post-1556505
* In the Clover Boot Manger (Clover_v2.4k_r4128) during boot up, press 'space' to bring up the boot option menu,
1) DO NOT checked 'Set Nvidia to VESA (nv_disable=1)'
2) You need to check 'Use Nvidia WEB drivers (nvda_drv=1)', although some posts mentioned that this flag is not working any more. However, I found that it's required to check it in my case in order for the NVIDIA Driver to be enabled.
For example:
View attachment 271135

Now the remaining issue for me are
1) sound playing is still not working, although there are output devices listed: Digital Out / Headphones / Line Out (2)
2) Video Playing Browser seems to be not working -- it plays a few seconds and then pause/stuck forever.

Maybe I need to play with different options in Multibeast. Does anyone what config file Multibeast update? Is backup of /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist sufficient? I notice that Multibeast installation can mess up the system pretty easily.

Thanks again for P1LGRIM's suggestion on how to get this NVIDia Driver to work. The screen looks much much better than the default OS X Graphic Driver. I am pretty happy with the machine now -- at least it's good enough for work/development, not ready for entertainment yet...

After a few days of research (AppleHDA/Realtek ALC892) and 'trial and error', I finally get the sound devices (with HDMI and headphone) working with my 1050 TI Graphics Card (Asus Geforce GTX 1050 Ti Expedition 4G (EX-GTX1050TI-O4G)).

By following this thread in Post Installation/Audio/HDMI Audio section -- https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...tput-port-audio-now-work-on-voodoohda.225517/ (Nvidia 1050 ti HDMI output port (Audio) - now work on VoodooHda), and I downloaded the latest VoodooHDA pkg from SourceForge:

1) Goto https://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/
2) Click 'Browse All Files'
3) Download 'VoodooHDA.kext-2.9.0d10.zip'
4) Unzip the 2.9.0 zip file and open VoodooHDA 2.9.0 Clover-V10.pkg and perform installation
5) Click Continue->Continue->Continue->Agree->Customize, Check 'VoodooHDA macOS Sierra Clover' option
6) Restart after installation is completed
7) Hooray! Now I got the below sound devices, the 3 with bold text are working fine!!!
  • 7.1 CH (Green+Orange+Black+Grey Rear)
  • Digital-out (HDMI)
  • Digital-out (HDMI)
  • Digital-out (HDMI)
  • Headphones (Green Front)
  • SPDIF-out(ATAPI)
Video playing is also working with the default player (quick time) and within Chrome Browser! It didn't work previously and I guess it's probably due to the sound device issues.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I wanted to install the gtx970 on my Sierra 10.12.6 so I tried this instruction but It does not work.
I have
"sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartup.kext/Contents/info.plist" instead of
"sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/info.plist" like in ur instruction. What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back