Contribute
Register

Fix NVIDIA Web Driver in macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the info, I found this forum while looking for this solution as this is my work computer, and I've lost a day of work over this! I don't know how the upgrade happened.... I only pressed the button to allow iTunes to be updated, I thought it was a bit suspicious when the system required a reboot after an iTunes update..... but it seems this Sierra update sneaked in and I would never have allowed that until we had the new NVidia drivers.

Anyway, unfortunately I've tried several times to follow this procedure and it still does not work for me, hope someone can help figure it out.

I've had no problem editing the Info.plist file with the new build version string, however I don't fully understand what is going on with the permissions in the second part of the process, and why this needs to be done to the whole of the Extensions folder. When I type the commands I just get a load of bounced error messages saying that the operation is not possible for every file in the Extensions folder.

I tried noaht8um's one liner as well, but similar results but with some alarming errors that I hope has not messed up my system.... I'll show you just the last part of it that came up in terminal:

....... very long list of errors cut, this is just the end....
chown: /System/Library/Extensions/webcontentfilter.kext/Contents/version.plist: Operation not permitted
chown: /System/Library/Extensions/webcontentfilter.kext/Contents: Operation not permitted
chown: /System/Library/Extensions/webcontentfilter.kext: Operation not permitted
chown: /System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources: Operation not permitted
chown: /System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature: Operation not permitted
chown: /System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/Info.plist: Operation not permitted
chown: /System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/MacOS/webdav_fs: Operation not permitted
chown: /System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/MacOS: Operation not permitted
chown: /System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/Resources/webdavfs_agent: Operation not permitted
chown: /System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/Resources: Operation not permitted
chown: /System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/version.plist: Operation not permitted
chown: /System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents: Operation not permitted
chown: /System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext: Operation not permitted
chown: /System/Library/Extensions: Operation not permitted
rebuilding //System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
Untrusted kexts are not allowed
NVDAStartupWeb.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
Untrusted kexts are not allowed
AppleMobileDevice.kext has invalid signature; omitting.
KernelCache ID: 99D83FA12900004858CF6BBBB62918E8
/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel not cached.
Successfully updated disk0s3.
Successfully updated disk1s3.
kextcache updated critical boot files, requesting launchd reboot

---------

The only thing I can think of that I may be doing differently to others is that I'm logging into the machine via a remote desktop (Teamviewer) in order to access it while I have no working display.

Anyone any ideas.... did everyone else get this list of errors? is it expected?

thanks and bye for now.
j9.

I just updated to 10.12.6 and noticed that the latest NVIDIA Web Driver (378.0505.15f01) no longer worked. Instead of waiting for NVIDIA to update their Beta drivers, I was able to resolve the issue using the following steps:

1. Open Terminal
  2. Type 'sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/info.plist'
  3. Enter your password (must be an Admin)
  4. Use the down arrow to scroll down until you see <key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
  5. Change the line below <key>NVDARequiredOS</key> from <string>16F73</string> to <string>16G29</string>
  6. Tap Ctrl-O (WriteOut) then tap Enter/Return to save the changes
  7. Tap Ctrl-X to exit
  8. Type:
    1. sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
    2. sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
    3. sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
    4. sudo kextcache -Boot -U /
  9. Reboot and enjoy your NVIDIA Pascal GPU in 10.12.6!
Works fine!! Thanks TechHero!

I just updated to 10.12.6 and noticed that the latest NVIDIA Web Driver (378.0505.15f01) no longer worked. Instead of waiting for NVIDIA to update their Beta drivers, I was able to resolve the issue using the following steps:

1. Open Terminal
  2. Type 'sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/info.plist'
  5. Change the line below <key>NVDARequiredOS</key> from <string>16F73</string> to <string>16G29</string>
  7. Tap Ctrl-X to exit
  8. Type:

THanksss!!!!
Now it work my GTX 970 :D
Captura de Tela 2017-07-20 às 12.34.31.png

Ya. No.
Tried alllll the above. Several times. With restarts, passwords, switch radio buttons, smearing peanut butter on the screen...tried everything. Nada.

{MacPro Westmere 2012 5,1}

Appreciate the advice though.

If I just thought, "Hey! the NVIDIA driver thing. Check to see if there's a new one" before I hit update this morning...

Last edited:
I applied the before mentioned fix and it made my screen go black after displaying the loading screen when booting from disk. (Normally the NvidiaWebDriver turns on when the bar reaches two-thirds and with that, the resolution fixes itself) So I booted with my handy recovery USB stick and ran AGDPfix which fixed it after doing "magic" for a minute or two. running the kextcache command did give a bunch of warnings though, turned out to be ok though.

thanks, but is there a way to actually install web drivers from 10.12.5 on 10.12.6? the installation package refuse to since I'm on 10.12.6 and the drivers are for 10.12.5? is it possible to change the NVDARequiredOS in the installation package?

1. Open Terminal
  7. Tap Ctrl-X to exit
  8. Type:

You're a genius! Thankyou!

Hi, I just do a clean installation of 10.12.6 and when I want install Nvidia Web driver the system shows me this message "Mac OS X version 10.12.6 (16G29) is not supported with this package. Please see NVIDIA’s website for further driver information." I tried with 10.12.5 package but I can't install. Any solution? Thx

is it possible to change the NVDARequiredOS in the installation package?
Any solution?
Yes, you need to Edit the "Distribution" file within the package using the Flat Package Editor.
If you adjusted and updated the "Distribution" file and package correctly you will be able to install the Nvidia Web Drivers.
After you installed the Nvidia Web Drivers modify the NVDAStartupWeb.kext to force the older drivers to load.
See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...2-3-16025a-beta-releases.212798/#post-1420204

When we try and to fix this with the suggested terminal commands... there are a long series of operations which say "Operation not permitted" over and over and over again.

Is this a clue as to why the commands are not working for us?
Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back