Contribute
Register

Fix NVIDIA Web Driver in macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just updated to 10.12.6 and noticed that the latest NVIDIA Web Driver (378.0505.15f01) no longer worked. Instead of waiting for NVIDIA to update their Beta drivers, I was able to resolve the issue using the following steps:

1. Open Terminal
  2. Type 'sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/info.plist'
  3. Enter your password (must be an Admin)
  4. Use the down arrow to scroll down until you see <key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
  5. Change the line below <key>NVDARequiredOS</key> from <string>16F73</string> to <string>16G29</string>
  6. Tap Ctrl-O (WriteOut) then tap Enter/Return to save the changes
  7. Tap Ctrl-X to exit
  8. Type:
    1. sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
    2. sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
    3. sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
    4. sudo kextcache -Boot -U /
  9. Reboot and enjoy your NVIDIA Pascal GPU in 10.12.6!
Is it possible to use this hack in 10.13??

1. Type:
  2. Reboot and enjoy your NVIDIA Pascal GPU in 10.12.6!

Hey thanks for this rapid advice!
I'm getting a bunch of "kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature....(various kext files)" messages when I type in that sudo kextcache -Boot -U / line. It then said something about requesting launchd reboot.

When I rebooted the first time I got a crash (circle with line through it). Trying again it booted but the NVIDIA driver still isn't working.

Any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT
I'm an idiot. I simply needed to switch the driver back over to using NVIDIA and it rebooted and worked fine.

Last edited:
Many thanks to TechHero and noaht8um for the excellent solution. You both are life savers.

I just updated to 10.12.6 and noticed that the latest NVIDIA Web Driver (378.0505.15f01) no longer worked. Instead of waiting for NVIDIA to update their Beta drivers, I was able to resolve the issue using the following steps:

1. Open Terminal
  2. Type 'sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/info.plist'
  3. Enter your password (must be an Admin)
  4. Use the down arrow to scroll down until you see <key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
  5. Change the line below <key>NVDARequiredOS</key> from <string>16F73</string> to <string>16G29</string>
  6. Tap Ctrl-O (WriteOut) then tap Enter/Return to save the changes
  7. Tap Ctrl-X to exit
  8. Type:
  9. Reboot and enjoy your NVIDIA Pascal GPU in 10.12.6!

TechHero worked like a charm - man your my hero for real! Fun-in nice man! Going to try this in 10.13 a.s.a.p.

Cheers man we owe you a shot and some beer!

Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 12.55.05 AM.png

Hi everyone, I tried but it does not work

Thanks so much! I don't really know why my system updated, but it did. This fixed the graphics for me. The control panel does show it as not working, but about this mac shows the gtx 750 and accelerated graphics work.

Thanks so much, it worked for me :D And when nvidia release driver for 10.12.6, need or not change 16G29 to 16F73?

For awareness, "16F73" is Apple's build number for 10.12.5, whereas "16G29" is Apple's build number for 10.12.6. Knowing this, all this change does is tell the NVIDIA driver that it can run on 10.12.6, whereas previously it was destined to only run on 10.12.5. Going forward, you should never have to change back to the old value unless you plan to downgrade somehow without reinstalling your NVIDIA drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back