Contribute
Register

Fix no sound after sleep on 1150 (and possibly other realtek's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I loaded the kext with KextBeast and now my hack won't boot-up :/ I can only get to the white apple logo but soon after it appears, the system restarts. Oh, and I checked FixShutdown in Clover Configurator too, to try to get my system to shut down (and not boot up again after a while), but I guess the problem is the kext installed. Can you please help on how to get the system running again? F.e. not to load the codecommander next in clover etc? Thanks, much appreciated!!!

Hey mate wanted to give you a update on my success.

Downloaded CodecCommander kext. Saved to Desktop
Downloaded KextBeast and ran program
Computer rebooted then before tested in set Darawake=8 in clover. Saved reset. Tested.

Works perfect
Im running the following
GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
http://amazon.com/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Next fix is thunderbolt now :D
then iMessage and then a video with all of it together :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Hey mate wanted to give you a update on my success.

Downloaded CodecCommander kext. Saved to Desktop
Downloaded KextBeast and ran program
Computer rebooted then before tested in set Darawake=8 in clover. Saved reset. Tested.

Works perfect
Im running the following
GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
http://amazon.com/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Next fix is thunderbolt now :D
then iMessage and then a video with all of it together :D
I have the same MB. What system definition are you using? I have mine set to Mac Pro 5,1 and my system will not boot with Darkwake=8 (or Darkwake=2).

Last edited by a moderator:
s the 1150 on this and similar motherboards is a particularly tough one to fix.
Working perfectly for my Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 onboard audio on 10.12.1, thanks.

By the way, I'm setting darkwake=0 not 8, anyway, it works.
After sleep you get audio yes, but do you get audio from headphone jack in the front of your PC? Please let me know :), I have the same motherboard and isuses. Headphone jack in front no longer works unless a fresh restart

After sleep you get audio yes, but do you get audio from headphone jack in the front of your PC? Please let me know :), I have the same motherboard and isuses. Headphone jack in front no longer works unless a fresh restart

I have a different motherboard but i still had some problems with sound when i used Apple HDA patching method & this solution. I tried an another patching way called "AppleALC" and all problems is gone. https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC. Perhaps it would be useful to you...

Last edited:
Fix no sound after sleep on 1150 - other method (may work for other realtek's aswell)

Preface:
No sound after sleep is a common issue for afaik all realteks. Some people reload the kext using audio reset apps but others feel this is dangerous or a bad solution. A better solution is using codec-commander but it's harder to wrap your head around and some motherboards are even worse to get working. I had one of those and this is a guide to how I solved it.

So how the hell do I fix this?
There are a few threads on this topic but I spent days with them and still didn't get codec-commander to work on my 1150-enabled motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z79MX-gaming 5). At last I was pointed to a few closed issues where I puzzled out the answer. I've uploaded the pre-compiled kext here for others to find with the same issue. It seems the 1150 on this and similar motherboards is a particularly tough one to fix.

This kext should work on motherboards with a similar setup to the Z79mx-gaming 5. If that seems like what you have, go ahead and just try the kext attached first. Install it using kextbeast or similar to S/L/E and set darkwake to 8. (See bottom of post for links)

If my kext doesn't work, or you have another realtek, I'll also provide the updated instruction on how to (probably/possibly) get it working. These instructions assume some general previous knowledge, let me know if you need more details about any particular step in the process. Most guides are not correct, telling you to find device id's in a plist that doesn't exist. Codec-commander was updated but the guides were not. What you do is download codec-commander and compile it with xcode (yes you need to download and install xcode). On some motherboards, as I understand it, this is all you need to do. Just install the kext in S/L/E and set darkwake to 8 and bam, sound after sleep.

Some aren't as lucky due to some amplifier chip as I understand it. If that's your case, after compile go into the build-folder and find the release-version of the kext. Open the container and find the .plist inside. Open this file with an editor or plist editor for convenience. Look up the section for your realtek and find the value for update nodes. Edit this to true and possibly increase the delay to the same as in the default section (I think it was 300). Save and install the kext into S/L/E, set darkwake=8 and reboot. Sleep and wake the computer, holding your thumb as we do in Sweden. Hopefully you now have working audio after sleep.

If you still do not, there's probably some other mysterious setting inside the .plist that you need to edit for your realtek and I cannot help you on that. Look through the conversations at git (link below). Wish I had the answer for everybody but at least I have it for those on 1150 and maybe a few others.

ready-made kext for 1150 on Gigabyte GA-Z79MX-gaming 5 and similar motherboards.
View attachment 146742

Link to download codec-commander:
https://github.com/Dolnor/EAPD-Codec-Commander (click download zip)

Other tools needed/useful in the process:
Xcode: app store, search for xcode, free, takes a lot of space.
Plist editor pro (easier way of editing that .plist): http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/plisteditpro/
kextbeast: easy way of installing kext's: http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=32
Issues-conversation at codec-commander page: https://github.com/Dolnor/EAPD-Codec-Commander/issues?q=is:issue+is:closed
(last resort if nothing above help you)

Maybe this should be pinned if it's considered worthwhile. Cheers!

EDIT 1:
Oh and if you get any kp's try installing the audio driver as a patched kext = use multibeast. Injected stuff here is apparently a bad idea. Don't ask me why, it's above my pay-grade!

EDIT 2:
Setting darkwake=8 is apparently not required but recommended by some user somewhere sometime in combination with this. I tried going back to what I had before (default setting). You do as you see fit!

EDIT 3:
There's another guide with a downloadable codec-commander but this will not work for the 1150.

EDIT 4:
This was tested on 10.10.4 and 10.10.5. Have not tried on anything pre-yosemite but it may work. Remember before 10.9.2 (I think, somewhere there) you no longer need this fix as it's needed due to a change made by apple at the builds after that.
Fix no sound after sleep on 1150 - other method (may work for other realtek's aswell)

Preface:
No sound after sleep is a common issue for afaik all realteks. Some people reload the kext using audio reset apps but others feel this is dangerous or a bad solution. A better solution is using codec-commander but it's harder to wrap your head around and some motherboards are even worse to get working. I had one of those and this is a guide to how I solved it.

So how the hell do I fix this?
There are a few threads on this topic but I spent days with them and still didn't get codec-commander to work on my 1150-enabled motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z79MX-gaming 5). At last I was pointed to a few closed issues where I puzzled out the answer. I've uploaded the pre-compiled kext here for others to find with the same issue. It seems the 1150 on this and similar motherboards is a particularly tough one to fix.

This kext should work on motherboards with a similar setup to the Z79mx-gaming 5. If that seems like what you have, go ahead and just try the kext attached first. Install it using kextbeast or similar to S/L/E and set darkwake to 8. (See bottom of post for links)

If my kext doesn't work, or you have another realtek, I'll also provide the updated instruction on how to (probably/possibly) get it working. These instructions assume some general previous knowledge, let me know if you need more details about any particular step in the process. Most guides are not correct, telling you to find device id's in a plist that doesn't exist. Codec-commander was updated but the guides were not. What you do is download codec-commander and compile it with xcode (yes you need to download and install xcode). On some motherboards, as I understand it, this is all you need to do. Just install the kext in S/L/E and set darkwake to 8 and bam, sound after sleep.

Some aren't as lucky due to some amplifier chip as I understand it. If that's your case, after compile go into the build-folder and find the release-version of the kext. Open the container and find the .plist inside. Open this file with an editor or plist editor for convenience. Look up the section for your realtek and find the value for update nodes. Edit this to true and possibly increase the delay to the same as in the default section (I think it was 300). Save and install the kext into S/L/E, set darkwake=8 and reboot. Sleep and wake the computer, holding your thumb as we do in Sweden. Hopefully you now have working audio after sleep.

If you still do not, there's probably some other mysterious setting inside the .plist that you need to edit for your realtek and I cannot help you on that. Look through the conversations at git (link below). Wish I had the answer for everybody but at least I have it for those on 1150 and maybe a few others.

ready-made kext for 1150 on Gigabyte GA-Z79MX-gaming 5 and similar motherboards.
View attachment 146742

Link to download codec-commander:
https://github.com/Dolnor/EAPD-Codec-Commander (click download zip)

Other tools needed/useful in the process:
Xcode: app store, search for xcode, free, takes a lot of space.
Plist editor pro (easier way of editing that .plist): http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/plisteditpro/
kextbeast: easy way of installing kext's: http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=32
Issues-conversation at codec-commander page: https://github.com/Dolnor/EAPD-Codec-Commander/issues?q=is:issue+is:closed
(last resort if nothing above help you)

Maybe this should be pinned if it's considered worthwhile. Cheers!

EDIT 1:
Oh and if you get any kp's try installing the audio driver as a patched kext = use multibeast. Injected stuff here is apparently a bad idea. Don't ask me why, it's above my pay-grade!

EDIT 2:
Setting darkwake=8 is apparently not required but recommended by some user somewhere sometime in combination with this. I tried going back to what I had before (default setting). You do as you see fit!

EDIT 3:
There's another guide with a downloadable codec-commander but this will not work for the 1150.

EDIT 4:
This was tested on 10.10.4 and 10.10.5. Have not tried on anything pre-yosemite but it may work. Remember before 10.9.2 (I think, somewhere there) you no longer need this fix as it's needed due to a change made by apple at the builds after that.

Thank you so much for your fantastic help! I have perfectly functional audio after sleep with a GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK on macOS Sierra 10.12.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back