Contribute
Register

// Fix inside // GA-Z77X-UD5H - USB3 Problem under ML

Status
Not open for further replies.
At VIA PDF they sai Specifically there's a fix for the Mac OS X

http://www.via-labs.com/en/downloads/documents/VL810 Firmware V9.6 Release Note.pdf

Date: October 1st, 2012
Release number: 0009_6

USB 3.0:
1. Updated Hub Descriptors:
wSpeedsSupported = 0x01
bMaxPower = 0x00
bInterval = 0x08

USB 2.0:
1. Improved USB compatibility with Apple OSX 10.8 and Apple xHCI Driver. Resolved an
issue where downstream devices would disappear after Restart/Reboot.

I installed 32-bit Win7 just for the purpose of updating the firmware on the VIA HUBs but the updater tool is unable to find any devices ("No device found").

Things I have tried:
1. I have installed the 2 Intel chipset drivers and the 1 USB 3.0 driver from the Gigabyte website.
2. I have confirmed that there are no yellow exclamation points in Device Manager and I have confirmed that a USB 3.0 device connected to one of these hubs really does work.
3. I have powered off, completely unplugged, and rebooted many times.
4. I have tried both the VL811 and VL810 updaters on VIA's download site. It appears that my v1.1 GA-Z77X-UD5H has VL811, not VL810 (my Product ID is 0x8110). Anyway, both VIA updaters reported "No device found"

Any ideas on what to do next? This is an old thread but I wonder if anyone else is still having USB3 problems on this board.

WARNING: Trying to install the firmware update from Windows 8 is a bad idea. The tool installs a small driver that causes Win8 to boot loop. I know the VIA install instructions do not list Win8 as supported. Apparently they are serious :)

WARNING: Trying to install the firmware update from Windows 8 is a bad idea. The tool installs a small driver that causes Win8 to boot loop. I know the VIA install instructions do not list Win8 as supported. Apparently they are serious :)

Odd, i did my update successfully from win8 x64. By the way i also fixed my boot log error of not having enough power at the hubs by inserting the apple power code into my dsdt. So that works though i don't know that it improved anything in practice. I'll post the edits if there is interest.

Cheers,
g\

Odd, i did my update successfully from win8 x64. By the way i also fixed my boot log error of not having enough power at the hubs by inserting the apple power code into my dsdt. So that works though i don't know that it improved anything in practice. I'll post the edits if there is interest.

Cheers,
g\

genzai, yes, I (and I'm sure many others) would really appreciate it if you posted your DSDT edits needed to get rid of the not having enough power error messages. Thanks!

And that is interesting about Win8 working for you. I was using the 32-bit version of Win8 so maybe that is the difference.

Recommendation in the guide is: XHCI Preboot Driver = Enable
The effect is to see the USB3 device at Chameleon before boot. But after ML boot, USB3 device is not seen any longer by OS (even unplunging and repluging)
When disabled, device is invisible from Chameleon but working in ML.

Setting should be:
XHCI Preboot Driver = Disable / XHCI = Smart Auto / XHCI Hand off = Enable / EHCI Hand off = Enable

Having just installed Mountain Lion using this board, I tried this. It didnt work. Still no USB2 support. The ports I'm testing it on came with the case (Corsair 300R) but are USB3.

I do have a working green audio jack right next to them.

I installed 32-bit Win7 just for the purpose of updating the firmware on the VIA HUBs but the updater tool is unable to find any devices ("No device found").

Things I have tried:
1. I have installed the 2 Intel chipset drivers and the 1 USB 3.0 driver from the Gigabyte website.
2. I have confirmed that there are no yellow exclamation points in Device Manager and I have confirmed that a USB 3.0 device connected to one of these hubs really does work.
3. I have powered off, completely unplugged, and rebooted many times.
4. I have tried both the VL811 and VL810 updaters on VIA's download site. It appears that my v1.1 GA-Z77X-UD5H has VL811, not VL810 (my Product ID is 0x8110). Anyway, both VIA updaters reported "No device found"

Any ideas on what to do next? This is an old thread but I wonder if anyone else is still having USB3 problems on this board.

Have you had any luck with the VL811, I also have rev 1.1 with that same chip. I followed Slugnet's golden build and for some reason installing his AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext made my USB 3.0 ports work. I'm lost for any logical reason why it may have worked but I'm getting USB 3.0 transfer speeds and device recognition on all back and front USB 3.0 ports. One thing I have noticed though, is when I shut down the computer, OSX shuts down almost instantly while my computers fans and power remains on for as little as 3 seconds and up to 10 seconds. Not sure why it does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back