Contribute
Register

Fix for Yosemite and random freezes with USB ports: uninstall Magicprefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2H
CPU
Intel Core i3-4330 3.5Ghz
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 OC 2G
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[EDITED] Fix for Yosemite and random freezes with USB ports (see the second post)

(Excuse my level of english, i'm not english native)

[This solution with MagicPrefs it's not definitive, see the second post for a REAL solution]

This is my first hackintosh. After weeks of searching a solution for random freezes when using USB mass storage devices, more random freezes when i connect other USB components, and laggy Magic mouse if i connect my ASUS BT-400 in the back panel with other components, i found the problem. And affects also real macs running Yosemite.

Magicprefs it's a program that added more functions for the Magic Mouse. I use Magic Mouse in all my macs in the past, works like a charm. But Magicprefs is now a dead application, years without updates. Forget other solutions posted in this forum, like uninstalling the generic USB3 Kext that comes with Multibeast, needed for my GA-H81M-S2H to works fine. The USB3 Kext it's not the problem. Magicprefs it's the problem. If you search in the official Apple forums, a lot of freezes in Yosemite are related to the use of Magicprefs. After uninstalling Magicprefs, no more freezes when i connect my USB hard drives.

HOW TO UNINSTALL MAGICPREFS?
(Pasted from his web)

There are 4 things that constitute MagicPrefs on your drive that you need to remove (this is done by moving them to the trash with the Finder or any other file manager or with unix commands via Terminal.app):
1- the application itself typically /Applications/MagicPrefs.app (you need to quit it first if it is running, for your convenience it quits itself if you remove its pref pane)
2- the preference pane of the application ~/Library/PreferencePanes/MagicPrefs.prefPane (you can also delete it directly from System Preferences by clicking "Remove MagicPrefs Preference Pane")
3- the support directory that typically includes installed plugins under ~/Library/Application Support/MagicPrefs/ (since the files in this directory are loaded by the application they also can not be deleted if it is running)
4- plists of the application at ~/Library/Preferences/com.vladalexa.MagicPrefs.plist , ~/Library/Preferences/com.vladalexa.MagicPrefs.MagicPrefsPlugins.plist and ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.vladalexa.MagicPrefs.plist

Last edited:
After uninstalling MagicPregs i fix the random laggy mouse, but with more testing, random freezes with USB hard disk are back.

I find a final solution for mi USB3 problem, inspired by this post (#27):

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...ng-working-but-usb-3-0-any-suggestions-3.html

The user frantick has the solution:

1. Delete GenericUSBXHCI.kext from S/L/E.

2. I find an AppleUSBXHCI.kext patched for Yosemite 10.10.2 in other web. His name is Patched AppleUSBXHCI v710.4.11.

3. BE SURE that the Kext it's specific for Yosemite and support the USB driver of your Motherboard. Mine is an Via
VL800, supported by this Kext.

4. Go to S/L/E and copy IOUSBFamily.kext in your Desktop. Right click with the mouse, view the content of the packet. Go to Contents/Plugins folders. Delete the old AppleUSBXHCI.kext and place the new.

5. Install your modified
IOUSBFamily.kext with KextBeast. Rebuild cache.

With this, no more random freezes using USB hard drives.

In occasions, if you boot with a hard drive connected in the back panel, will freeze. It's random. The solution is if you use a hard drive with Time Machine always connected at your Hackintosh, connect to an USB port in the front panel.

Cual fue tu solución para el problema labios de cenizas.

MI sistema es

Captura de pantalla 2015-06-18 a las 3.17.03 AM.png
Gracias, Luis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back