Contribute
Register

[FIX] for USB external drive wasn't ejected properly! Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z68X-UD4-B3
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
XFX 6870 Dual Fan
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Problem: When your computer wakes up from sleep, USB external drives get disconnected then reconnected again causing the "This drive wasn't ejected properly" warning message.

Fix: This is a 3-part fix.

1st: Buy and download an app called "jettison"** costs $2.00
This app will eject Hard disks, DVDs, CDs, disk images, Network drives, iDisks before sleeping, then reconnect them again at wake-up. You can set which devices you want ejected or not.

But using the above program will bring to light an obscure problem... i.e. where our internal SATA drives are incorrectly recognized as Removable medias. So "jettison" will attempt to eject the internal SATA drives, which of course will produce a warning message. Not good.

2nd: Go to E/E and delete IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
This kext replaces the orange icon for our internal sata drives and replaces the icon with the hard drive icon. But it's just a cosmetic change... if you look into About this Mac, those SATA drives are still identified as Removable Media=Yes. So not so good.

3rd: Install OrangeIconFix.kext. Just google it and download, copy to your E/E, then reboot. Now, if you look into About this Mac, you'll see that our internal SATA drives are now recognized as Removable Media=No, and Detachable Media=No. GREAT!

So now, with jettison running, try to put your computer to sleep. Voila! External USB drives are ejected, no more unsafe eject warning message, and when you wake up, they're re-connected again.

And now I got a 99.9999999% working hackintosh!

** Thanks to Pieroman69 for the app recommendation.

Great post! Worked for me. I noticed that we have the same graphics card. I was wondering if you did any post-install tweaking on it to: a) get all ports working (2nd DVI port doesn't work with GE=Yes), and/or b) maximize performance?

Thanks!

*I tried to follow this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=46738 but ended up bricking my system.*

Only top DVI port works. (2nd one doesnt)

Use a miniDP to DVI adapter instead.

Wow, quick response. Yeah, I'm currently using a mini display port > DVI (active) adapter. I had distortion and black screen issues with it for a while. I moved some cords around and now it works. Not totally sure how I get it to work to be honest, but now both monitors load on startup just fine.

Hello. I tried many hours to google for the file: OrangeIconFix.kext but was not able to get it. I need help to find the file. Thanks!

Here is the kext.

Attachments

• OrangeIconFix.kext.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 352
Thanks Titsmgee for the file! Now the problem is solved and worked perfectly. Cheers!

i had this problem on my z170x-ud3 10.12.5, then i found the culprit!

When i disable xmp profile in bios, usb sleep wake is fine without any improper eject message!

When i enable xmp profile1 again in bios, symptoms come again! Usb not properly ejected after wake.

So do you have thoughts on this?

I see that as well on 10.13.3 with a gigabyte Z370-UD3... I think my older X58 build does the same thing, but never knew why until now. I just read that you can tell clover to enable XMP and you'll get faster memory speed and no eject problem during sleep. I am about to try this to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back