Contribute
Register

Fix for Slow Boot on Thunderbolt 2.0 Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem:
If you have a Thunderbolt 2.0 motherboard, such as the Gigabyte Z87X-UD7-TH, there is a boot time delay of 45 seconds or so when Thunderbolt peripherals are attached.

Solution:
For Chimera/Chameleon, delete /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext, rebuild cache and reboot.

1. Open Terminal
2. Type the following and enter password:

Code:
sudo -s

Code:
cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext ~/Desktop

Code:
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext

Code:
touch /System/Library/Extensions

3. Reboot system, and the delay is gone!

Thanks to Genzai in the Thunderbolt 2.0 Testing thread here. :thumbup:

I had the same problem of slow boot with z87x-ud5th but removing the kext "AppleThunderboltNHI.kext" I solved

Hi all.
I'm a noob here but I just won't to check if someone else could verify this.
On my Z77UP5 TH I could see that osx 10.9.3 is loading a Apple thunderbolt AHCI driver on my Buffalo TH external hard drive. On my Z87UD5 TH osx is loading a generic driver for the same hard drive.
Why is it like this? Could this be the culprit for the slow boot and all the other problems named in this thread. And one more thing. If I connect my external display over thunderbolt i have no problems with the disappearing icon on desktop for the express card.

Anyone

Cheers.

Hi all

sorry to dig up the thread....

i have the the same problem on my motherboard Gigabyte Z77MX - D3H TH with my apple thunderbolt screen attached...I know it's not thunderbolt 2 but the symptoms are the same...

hope pe you can help..

gerry

Hi,
the fix worked great, the boot-up time is fast again and my thunderbolt options are working (the screen is self isn't working but I posted it on the other forum)

After doing this i get a panic screen after the apple logo. I'm now booting in safe mode but this isn't working on the long run. Any suggestions to resolve this?

Greetings,

Hi,

I'm a new builder, sorry for any silly questions. In Terminal, after I type the code, it requires me to enter password. Does it mean my admin password (to login, install/remove softwares)??

I'm using GA-Z97X-UD7 TH motherboard and connecting my UAD2 Satellite TH and Apogee Symphony 64 TH bridge.

The UAD2 Satellite TH shows there's a Host (means the TH is running, right?), but the UAD Meter & Control Panel said no device was found. And same as the Apogee Symphony 64 too.

Thanks!

have u using a bootable windows system to active Thunderbolt port get work?
I have same Z97x ud7 th

Bios set thunderbolt to "Legacy"
and boot to win7 make Device active (only need at first time)

and it will boot slow when Thunderbolt working...
then u need delete "AppleThunderboltNHI.kext" and sync cache then reboot

:D

Problem:
If you have a Thunderbolt 2.0 motherboard, such as the Gigabyte Z87X-UD7-TH, there is a boot time delay of 45 seconds or so when Thunderbolt peripherals are attached.

Solution:
For Chimera/Chameleon, delete /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext, rebuild cache and reboot.

1. Open Terminal
2. Type the following and enter password:

Code:
sudo -s

Code:
cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext ~/Desktop

Code:
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext

Code:
touch /System/Library/Extensions

3. Reboot system, and the delay is gone!

Thanks to Genzai in the Thunderbolt 2.0 Testing thread here. :thumbup:

So this is my second build, I've been trying this but each time I enter the first command (after login in through sudo) it tells me that the file/directory doesn't exist. I've checked my spelling, and that the ktext exists (it does). Not sure what the issue is but I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue or a solution. I have the exact mother board listed above.

Dude, you guys f'ing rock. Everytime I booted up with my UAD Apollo, I had (without exaggerating) a 2-3 min boot time. Down to a sweet 9 seconds now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back