Contribute
Register

Fix for OpenCL crash with GK110B based cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome job!

I do have a few questions before I move forward with this, if you don't mind. While I enjoy making my computer work, I also like learning as I go.

1. What exactly is this doing, and why does this work?

2. What, if any other issues could we see by doing this (will it cause other programs to stop working, ie. Adobe products)?

3. Do we have to have developer status, or can anyone make this work?

4. What are the risks (hardware/software) in doing this?

Thanks for your time figuring this out, and for providing the info!

I thought I explained it quite well, but I'll try to say it differently.

1. Basically OpenCL is supported by multiple types of devices, CPUs, GPUs, other accelerators. What this patch does is it tells OpenCL that no GPU device supports OpenCL (by leaving out the OCL graphics initialisation phase).

2. If there are any other issues, I don't know about them, if there are, then it should only be related to apps using OpenCL. I only had one system hang with Adobe Premiere Pro CC but couldn't reproduce that. Even CUDA acceleration worked fine.

3. You don't have to be a developer, you only need Xcode and a self-signing certificate (howto is explained in first post)

4. You should not be able to damage your hardware, this is not a driver related patch.

Hope this answered all questions :) good luck and please report with results.

Sounds awesome!

My mum is dragging me to the new Hunger Games movie, so I'll test it out when I get home.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify.

Note: I like hanging out with my mum :D

Awesome work ! I am downloading Xcode to give it a try !
This "rev B" is a real issue (I can only blame myself, it was written in the december buyers guide...) BUT you give a first part of the solution... Do you plan to work on a patched version of GeForce drivers as second part ? :D or there is no way (to much complex) to update the code by your side, maybe with some help ? (I am not a programmer sadly :s)

Cheers and many thanks again I will post if I have any succes (or difficulties first...)

Awesome work ! I am downloading Xcode to give it a try !
This "rev B" is a real issue (I can only blame myself, it was written in the december buyers guide...) BUT you give a first part of the solution... Do you plan to work on a patched version of GeForce drivers as second part ? :D or there is no way (to much complex) to update the code by your side, maybe with some help ? (I am not a programmer sadly :s)

Cheers and many thanks again I will post if I have any succes (or difficulties first...)

Well, disassembling the nvidia drivers were the first part of the research and there is probably no way I can patch that. :) I would need too much additional info that I don't even know where to get. Plus hex modifying the driver is not really safe and can't really afford a new system if I f*ck up (there's probably some hardware protection, but don't want to risk it), so I'll give a pass on this one. :D

Fix worked :)
Now we just need to find where the Nvidia drivers manager lives and sit in front of his house until he plans to debug the driver ;)

Anyway, your a semi god now ;)

Thank you for your hard work, is it possible if you can post how to do video cheers

Hmmm..

Everything seems to go well until I put in the terminal command:

Then I get "OpenCL_EXEC: No such file or directory"

EDIT:

I dragged the OpenCL file into the terminal window and it seemed to work. I'm rebooting now. Hopefully I see you guys soon. :D

Ouch, that didn't work. Now when I login, the screen flashes and everything crashes. I can't even open anything cause finder crashes over and over. Urk

Hmmm..

Everything seems to go well until I put in the terminal command:

Then I get "OpenCL_EXEC: No such file or directory"

EDIT:

I dragged the OpenCL file into the terminal window and it seemed to work. I'm rebooting now. Hopefully I see you guys soon. :D

The guide starts with "From here on I will refer to this file - /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Versions/A/OpenCL - as OpenCL_EXEC." Dragging the opencl file into terminal was exactly what you were supposed to do. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back