Contribute
Register

Fix for OpenCL crash with GK110B based cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running a GT610. How can I find if this card is a "rev B" one?

Thats definitely some really mysterious kind of bug! Did you try the performance with for example DaVinci Resolve?

I've been thinking maybe because with 2 GPU's its PCIx8, not X16... and if FCPX uses only 1 GPU...
In Resolve I didn't run any benchmarks yet, but what's strange is that in Resolve preferences there's only 1 GTX780.

I've been thinking maybe because with 2 GPU's its PCIx8, not X16... and if FCPX uses only 1 GPU...
In Resolve I didn't run any benchmarks yet, but what's strange is that in Resolve preferences there's only 1 GTX780.

That is not strange, Resolve Light only uses one GPU for acceleration. Also in resolve with nvidia you definitely want to use CUDA not openCL.

For all the people who keep asking and asking, obviously without having bothered to read any of the thread, rev B only applies to GTX 780, 780TI and Titan Black. Stop asking if your freaking 6xx card or 760 or whatnot is a rev B.

g\

About a year and a half ago I worked on a Mac Pro with 2 x 5770 GPU's and Resolve lite showed
1 for GUI and 1 for processing. That was on Resolve 8 or 9, doesn't it show it like that anymore?

New CUDA Driver Version: 5.5.47 on CUDA preferences panel, installed and checked
everything is working now!!! yeahhhh!!!

I have an MSI GTX 760 as well. Let me make sure I have followed what you said...

You are running MacAndor's patch, plus the web drivers with updated CUDA drivers?

You didn't patch AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext plist?

As it stands right now, I have a machine definition of MacPro3,1, no patches and the apple drivers, I have OpenCL+Cuda and power management works until I use OpenCL.

If I use the Web drivers with no patches, power management never comes down at all.

So, It sounds like only MacAndor's patch is needed?

I have an MSI GTX 760 as well. Let me make sure I have followed what you said...

You are running MacAndor's patch, plus the web drivers with updated CUDA drivers?

As it stands right now, I have a machine definition of MacPro3,1, no patches and the apple drivers, I have OpenCL+Cuda and power management works until I use OpenCL.

If I use the Web drivers with no patches, power management never comes down at all.

The patch is only for GK110B, which is a GTX780 or a GTX TITAN.

UPDATE

After some time of using the system I realize that OpenCL still problematic, I will need to patch again with MacAndors patch what means I wont be able to use OpenCL :banghead:

The patch is only for GK110B, which is a GTX780 or a GTX TITAN.

cluthz, it was figured out that OpenCL is what is causing the lack of power management on nVidia cards. As soon as GPU based OpenCL is used, the card is stuck at full speed (well, maybe a step below full speed, but far above idle) and therefore is using far more power and generating a lot more heat than it needs to.

So, although the original purpose of MacAndor's patch was to fix an OpenCL crash on the 780, others found out that it also works to fix power management on a whole other range of cards.

The tradeoff is loss of GPU OpenCL in favor of power management + CPU OpenCL. For what I am doing, that is a fair tradeoff until another fix is found.

UPDATE

After some time of using the system I realize that OpenCL still problematic, I will need to patch again with MacAndors patch what means I wont be able to use OpenCL :banghead:

I feel your pain. There are so many settings that interact with each other. For some reason, after installing the web driver, I couldn't get current versions of HWMonitor to report GPU stats. Maybe one in 10 boots it would show me stats. I switched back to built-in drivers with the nVidia control panel, and that didn't help. Restored from backup that never had the web drivers installed and that got me stats back.

I'm not going to bother with the web drivers for now, and just see if MacAndor's patch will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back