Contribute
Register

FIX for boot hangs after BIOS update (ACPI PATCH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try to disable CSM and boot in UEFI mode.

I checked before the update to the bios.
Updated the bios and then tried the patch 1, patch 2, and then both together.

Once again it just hung after about 3-4% of the progress bar.

On the previous bios updates the actual settings in there never changed so I assumed that was going to be the case on this update. Only after trying all the above patches did I decide to double check that the bios setting had remained.

How wrong I was. Everything had been set back to default, CSM, VT-d, Memory Profile etc etc.

Once I changed them back to what they should be, your patch 1 worked a treat.

Never again will I assume the settings are left unaltered on a bios update.

Thanks for your help @mattystonnie

ACPI hot patch, RTC FIX. Compared the new bios with the old one, replaced hexadecimal.
Tempted to try? :twisted:
Hey I just tried your patch on my ASRock DeskMini 310 with the latest BIOS (4.10). For a while there I thought my only option was to roll back the BIOS but it says on the manufacturer site "*User will not able to flash to previous BIOS once upgrading to this BIOS version." so I thought I was screwed. Thank you very much for this fix!

Patch working on Z390-P!!!!! THANKS A LOTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

I have a major problem and hoping your patch will help.

I am currently trying to build a new rig on a Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 7 MB which is currently at a BIOS F12. I've tried to flash downgrade to a lower BIOS based on other posts but cannot. No matter what I've tried I cannot get lower than my current BIOS version of F12 and believe that is causing the boot hang.

I should also state that this is a new build and so does not yet have bootloader or anything on the SSD drive. I am trying to boot to the Unibeast created USB boot drive to first install High Sierra.

Is there a way to install your patch onto that USB boot drive?

I have a major problem and hoping your patch will help.

I am currently trying to build a new rig on a Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 7 MB which is currently at a BIOS F12. I've tried to flash downgrade to a lower BIOS based on other posts but cannot. No matter what I've tried I cannot get lower than my current BIOS version of F12 and believe that is causing the boot hang.

I should also state that this is a new build and so does not yet have bootloader or anything on the SSD drive. I am trying to boot to the Unibeast created USB boot drive to first install High Sierra.

Is there a way to install your patch onto that USB boot drive?

Yes. Edit config file, add the patch there.

Yes. Edit config file, add the patch there.

Got it I think, but being a noob let me just detail the steps and I certainly would appreciate any feedback.

So I will mount the EFI of the USB disk that contains the "Intall macOS High Sierra"
Then using Clover config (I'm doing this from my working machine) apply the patch to the config file located on the mounted EFI (so within the EFI/EFI/CLOVER on that USB Unibeast created bootable drive)

EDIT: MAJOR THANK YOU!!!!!

Everything was going so wrong with this install (and although I call myself a noob I actually did create my first hackintosh over a decade ago), but was able to patch the config on the USB install drive and am currently doing a fresh macOS install on this new machine.

Many thanks mattystonnie

And yes, I will make sure I also patch the eventual config file on the target drive (the SSD of the computer).

Last edited:
Got it I think, but being a noob let me just detail the steps and I certainly would appreciate any feedback.

So I will mount the EFI of the USB disk that contains the "Intall macOS High Sierra"
Then using Clover config (I'm doing this from my working machine) apply the patch to the config file located on the mounted EFI (so within the EFI/EFI/CLOVER on that USB Unibeast created bootable drive)

EDIT: MAJOR THANK YOU!!!!!

Everything was going so wrong with this install (and although I call myself a noob I actually did create my first hackintosh over a decade ago), but was able to patch the config on the USB install drive and am currently doing a fresh macOS install on this new machine.

Many thanks mattystonnie

And yes, I will make sure I also patch the eventual config file on the target drive (the SSD of the computer).
Copy paste the EFI folder from USB to the SSD EFI partition :think:. You welcome.

Confirmed working on Asus Z390-H Gaming.
Added the patch to Clover manually after BIOS update using a Linux live USB. The hex must be inserted in config.plist in base64.
Thanks for the patch.

My friend I have the same MB on bios 2203, could you share your config plist please? So I can fresh install high Sierra on my system.

EDIT: Never mind, I got it working using Linux as well by adding the patch manually to the config.plist. Everything is working perfectly now :) :)

Last edited:
You're an absolute legend! I was trying to get a NUC8i5BEH to boot, and it just wouldn't go past that annoying "apfs_module_start:1393:load:com.apple.filesystem.apfs" line. Now it boots flawlessly! Hats off to you!
:clap:

Hi, here is a much more correct solution. Because the STAS variable need controls other device AWAC. Tested on Z370 Gigabyte AORUS GAMING 7-OP and Intel NUC 8. Only unpack and copy this SSDT table to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched.

Attachments

• SSDT-SET-STAS.aml.zip
    748 bytes · Views: 1,412
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back