Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Samsung NP550P7C-T02CA
CPU
Intel Core i7
Graphics
#1. HD4000 + Optimus GT630M
So, after two days of really messing with things, I've managed to come up with a comprehensive set of steps that may allow anyone experiencing the "Self-Assigned IP Address" problem to overcome it.

A. Kext/Driver Related Issues

This can be tricky, but is your most likely cause. The most important thing you must do is find out EXACTLY what ethernet/wifi card you have. One way of doing that if you're a noob like me is using Windows.

To find your Ethernet or WiFi card model on Windows, do the following:
1. Click Start, search "System info". Select "System Information".
2. On the left, navigate to Components -> Network -> Adapter.

Here you should see the device you're looking for. Note that if you're on a Laptop or have multiple NIC's you must search for the one specific to your cause. For example, my Acer Aspire 571 has a Broadcom Ethernet card and an Atheros WiFi card. This is obviously a very important distinction.

Hint: If you are unsure on the model, a cool little trick is to select the "PNP Device ID" field, click "Edit -> Copy", and google that value. Somewhere on the internet you might find information about what model that Device ID belongs to, that's how I did.
So now you know your network card's exact model, and after searching around, you've found the necessary kext(s) for your card, great! Use Kext Wizard or KextBeast (Kextbeast is available here on tonymac, I prefer Kextwizard) to install the kext.

If you install that kext, restart, and encounter the "Self-Assigned.." error, here are a few things you can try.
1. Search /System/Library/Extensions, /Library/Extensions, and your Clover EFI partitions (/CLOVER/kexts/10.13 & /Other/) for ANY and I mean ANY other kexts for your model network card. Remove any duplicates, remove any conflicting ones.

Broadcom 5775.kext & Broadcom 5776.kext = Not Allowed
Broadcom 5775.kext in both /S/L/E & /L/E = Not Allowed
As an example, in my case I had two different Broadcom kexts and for some reason it was just causing issues. I realize that it technically should have no effect, but it did in my case. Make sure that there are no duplicate kexts in those folders either, eg. Broadcom5XXX.kext can not be in both /S/L/E and /L/E.

2. Make sure your permissions are correct! I use Kext Wizard to do this for me. A great way to find out if this is a potential source of your trouble is to try the following:
2a. Open Terminal, type:
Code:
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/YourNetworkCardKext.kext
If you get an error in response that says:
Code:
failed to load - (libkern/kext) authentication failure (file ownership/permissions);
Then you need to fix the file permissions in /S/L/E. macOS will not properly load the kext until you do, even if it's in your Clover folder.​
3. Rebuild Kextcache (do this only AFTER you've completed the first two steps):
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /
4. Double check step 1 :p. Remember, no conflicting Kexts, no duplicates!
B. Clear System Preferences

Make sure you do this AFTER solving any kext related issues and BEFORE you restart. If you restart and still have kext related issues, you will have to perform these steps again once those kext issues are resolved...

1. Finder, go to /Library/Preferences/
2. Delete the following files:
com.apple.networkextension.cache.plist
com.apple.networkextension.plist​
3. Rename the SystemConfiguration folder to SystemConfiguration.old​

C. Shutdown, do not restart, your hackintosh.

This one baffles me. But for some reason when I restart my Laptop, I can run into this error upon reboot. Only after selecting Shutdown and using the power button to manually power cycle does my Ethernet start to work again.

If you're on a Desktop, make sure you pull the plug or flip the power switch on your PSU to off as well. For a Laptop, a battery pull can help.

Again, no clue why this helps. Whether it's Clover related or perhaps something with my particular Broadcom card itself. Nonetheless, it's a solution which I have tested and verified to work on my end.

Conclusion

I realize this guide is somewhat sloppy, but it's mostly a quick summary of everything I had to do/try to get my Ethernet working once again. So hopefully something here will work for you. I can say that in most cases, it's likely to be a Kext issue, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try everything here.

Any questions are welcome and I will try to help where I can.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you! working well
0ybundiwYy0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back